• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What speakers to get?

jbltecnicspro

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
11,747
Currently, I have a pair of Audioengine A5's. Honestly, most people like them, but they just aren't my cup of tea. The only thing I can say is that they just party too hard. My biggest annoyance with them is:

1. They're too forward. They have a tendency to shout things at you, rather than play them to you. Honestly, I don't know what the reviewers are smoking when they sing their praises. No offense to those who like them. I'm going to sell them to my sister-in-law and her husband. They both love the speakers and watch movies, and love their bombastic nature.

2. They're get too loud too quick. They require the knob to be up a little to hear both speakers fully. That's not that big of an issue, but my goodness are they LOUD when you reach that level! Way too loud.

I was looking at getting a pair of Swan m200mkii's (not iiis), as their price is good.

I need these speakers to power a small apartment living room. My wife and I both enjoy classical music and jazz, with the occasional trance and praise music (the kind you sing at evangelical Christian churches). Are the Swans good for this room? Room size is a typical small apartment living room. I want something that sonically resembles my Sennheiser HD-650s - dark and smooth. And no - I'm not expecting HD-650 sound quality from $300 speakers.
 
Sounds like you don't like bright speakers at all (stay away from horn tweeters). I'd advise getting away from speakers with integrated amps like those audioengines or the swans. Even if it's for computer sound it's best to get separate amplification and speakers. Can you budget say $100 for a stereo or 5.1 amp? You don't need to spend too much on an amp, if you can find something used that will save you money ($100 for 5.1 new will get you something crappy). generally the more money you spend on speakers the better the sound you will likely get (not all the time).
For a low budget I'd recommend getting a set of Polks, they're really cheap at the moment and not bright
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290203

If you up your budget more Aperion audio comes highly regarded
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Intimus-5B-Bookshelf-Speaker,108,20,249.aspx

I'd take a look at pro reviews rather than what people recommend though, audioholics does some good reviews, if you can audition the speakers that would be even better.

Also this store is good, I've bought things from here before, much lower prices on audio.
http://accessories4less.com/
 
Even if you do have space, Clean good sounding amp with high quality internals. I don't think the OP needs a headphone amp so no need for a topping amp.
 
Also this store is good, I've bought things from here before, much lower prices on audio.
http://accessories4less.com/

Consider something from the Boston Acoustics A-Series. If you don't mind the color white, they are 50%+ off at that site.

I don't think the OP needs a headphone amp so no need for a topping amp.

Topping makes good quality amps overall. Consider the TP20 if a headphone output is not needed.
 
2x of these http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P163BK/Infinity-Primus-P163.html
and this amp: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-322 (May be found ~$100 on that electronic auction site everyone uses)

Another option for the amp is the: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8255B-TX-8255-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B001AMSPQI Added benefit of having a remote. The new price is so close to the refurb price that I'd spend the extra $23 to get it from Amazon incase you don't like it.

Edit: Two pro-reviews of the older P162s. The P162s were a bargain at $300/pr, the P163s are about half that. The only difference between the two is cosmetic(color of the front fascia).
http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1007inf/
http://www.soundstage.com/equipment/infinity_primus_p162.htm
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Consider something from the Boston Acoustics A-Series. If you don't mind the color white, they are 50%+ off at that site.

yeah, they look nice

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eaker-Each-Gloss-White/1.html#!specifications


I just saw this 5.1 Denon amp on Accessories4less, $109

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...1-5.1-Channel-AV-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

75 wpc at 0.08 THD at 20-20khz

The advantages of getting a surround receiver over most 2 channel stereo amp is if you wish to add a subwoofer later to fill out the bottom end. audio will sound very similar for stereo. That's a really good price. Denon are supposed to sound warmer than other receivers (though to my ears amplification is all very similar as long as you have enough power for your needs and it can handle whatever ohms your speakers are rated at)... Plus you should be able to audition it at your local best buy.
 
Last edited:
Ive never been one for plain old 2.1 computer speakers but I wanted something light for this rig so I got some Harmon Kardon Sound Stick III's and they sound AMAZING, look cool too.

$155.00 shipped from Amazon
 
Guys, I appreciate the suggestion for an amp + speakers, but I really don't want to go the used route, and I don't really have the money for a good setup (I refuse to purchase a sub-$300 receiver from any of the big brands). I'm selling my A5's for $250 to my in-laws (they love it), and I really have to try and match the price as close to what I get for my A5's. Currently the m200mkii's are extremely close to that figure, and from what I've read, they're on the smooth and subtle side of things.

Eventually, after college is done and I'm more established, we'll probably get a good floorstanding setup. The speakers I get now will go into the den/videogame room, so I would prefer an active setup. Anyone here have experience with the Swans, or should I take this to an audiophile forum?
 
Topping makes good quality amps overall. Consider the TP20 if a headphone output is not needed.

Yeah they are good, But the emotiva will do better with the larger space, and it has a higher quality PSU.
 
Get the Swans. Based on what you want, I really can't think of a better match.

Here is a decent review that addresses some of your questions directly.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/swans2/1.html

Well the review is for the MKiii's not the MKii's. I just don't think the single amped MKii's are great for room filling sound.

Dont get me wrong, they are incredible sounding just not room filling.
 
If only right? I would kill for a pair....

I've purchased multiple pairs around $300 locally. I've had most of Magnepans older speakers including the 1.6. Haven't bought anything higher than the 2.7 though.
 
Guys, I appreciate the suggestion for an amp + speakers, but I really don't want to go the used route, and I don't really have the money for a good setup (I refuse to purchase a sub-$300 receiver from any of the big brands). I'm selling my A5's for $250 to my in-laws (they love it), and I really have to try and match the price as close to what I get for my A5's. Currently the m200mkii's are extremely close to that figure, and from what I've read, they're on the smooth and subtle side of things.

Eventually, after college is done and I'm more established, we'll probably get a good floorstanding setup. The speakers I get now will go into the den/videogame room, so I would prefer an active setup. Anyone here have experience with the Swans, or should I take this to an audiophile forum?


so fair enough I thought I'd chime in with what I have experience with

up until recently I was using a little t-amp (SMSL SA-S3) with some polk bookshelf speakers (i have 3 different types of polks i used it with T15, M30 series II and RTi4) of the 3 sets of speakers I think the Monitor 30s would be the best sounding w/ my t-amp


which is sad cause the RTi4s I was very excited about finding for under $100 new...but they are kind of bright. The M30s are pretty laid back i think the sound pretty awesome for what they cost (I got mine for $69 by waiting on a sale @ newegg for $70 i don't think there is a new speaker that can touch them) my T15s I got a BB for $50 right before Xmas... they are actually pretty nice for $50 they are smaller than the M30s and ported out the found making them easier perhaps to deal with on a computer desk if a wall is near your desk. ... I have also used the t-amp w/ some vintage Realistic Minimus 77 speakers with good success.


so cause also i see newegg has the RTi6s for $175 they are nice also but sort of bright... w/ my RTi4s my t-amp actually mellowed them out some (i think cause it may roll off a bit on the mids?) but whatever w/ my Pioneer SX-780 (bright vintage receiver to begin w/) the RTi4s are unbearable but with my Pioneer SA-710 Integrated amp they actually sound pretty nice.

what is my point again?? oh right so i'm going to be honest i think my vintage pioneer stuff sounds better (with the right speaker pairing) but for it's tiny little (desk friendly ) foot print the quality and sound is absolutely astounding w/ the t-amp .... and while our musical taste are different i have listened to some jazz w/ the t-amp and the Monitor 30s and thought it sounded pretty nice. Distortion does increase w/ volume w/ the t-amps but my 89db sensitivity polk m30s i could get wife annoying volume w/ out distortion in our living room and kitchen area.


when i was using it instead of my SX-780 / SA-710 deal now my set up was about $130
total $69 speakers and $60 (shipped from HK) SMSL SA-S3 T-amp

it could have been easily much cheaper if i had just used my thrift store find Minimus 77s which where $10 and $5~ for a re-foam kit (surrounds where shot when I got them) but they where also very pleasant w/ the t-amp

I have yet to try speakers that don't sound pretty good w/ my t-amp.
 
Back
Top