• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

what sound card?

Cuddy8616

n00b
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
27
well im looking to spend less than $100 and i want to use this for recording, and listening to music. i really want to hook up a recording studio through my computer, and am not too sure which route to take. thanks
cuddy
 
I tell you what. I just got the new X-Fi xtreme music card.....the "cheap" one....Ive been messin around with it for about two days....music is outstanding on this card....Ive heard stuff that I just never heard on my old Audigy card....IMO its worth the extra dough. :D
 
magoo said:
I tell you what. I just got the new X-Fi xtreme music card.....the "cheap" one....Ive been messin around with it for about two days....music is outstanding on this card....Ive heard stuff that I just never heard on my old Audigy card....IMO its worth the extra dough. :D

I second that!

Donnie27
 
magoo said:
I tell you what. I just got the new X-Fi xtreme music card.....the "cheap" one....Ive been messin around with it for about two days....music is outstanding on this card....Ive heard stuff that I just never heard on my old Audigy card....IMO its worth the extra dough. :D
So, what kind of latency ya getting? Is the jitter too bad?

Recording gear is different from gaming gear. Until somebody who does recording has given their opinion of the X-Fi, I'd avoid it like the plague for recording.

 
i really like the EMU 1212m, it seeems to have all of the inputs i would need. i just hope that it is professional quality...does anyone on this board use a sound card for recording and not just for gaming? if not where could i find someone to help me with this? thanks
cuddy
 
The 0404 and 1212 are fine recording cards. I haven't used them personally, but everyone I've heard from likes them.

 
i now want to upgrade into the $200-$350 price range for a new recording sound card. any opinions? thanks
cory
 
What do you have now? The 1212? There's kind of a hole in that price range, and if you've got the 1212 already you won't see much difference with that kind of budget.

If you've already got the 1212, do a few more gigs (if that's your bag) or save up some and try the Tascam FW1082. It's got motorized faders and other cool features, and it's a lot nicer to use real faders than software ones. At $600 new it's not cheap, and I'd certainly find some reviews before I bought it, but it looks like good stuff.

 
right now i have a $50 creative soundcard, and i want to get into the $300 range of soundcards. i will be using it to record. which one should i get? thanks
 
The Emu 1212. Was the first go-round of this not clear enough?

 
unhappy_mage said:
The Emu 1212. Was the first go-round of this not clear enough?

A 2nd for the 1212m, unless you extend your budget just a little and pick up an EMU 1820 for less than $400. It occupies only one PCI slot (1212 needs two) and comes with a very convenient I/O breakout box.
 
jon67 said:
A 2nd for the 1212m, unless you extend your budget just a little and pick up an EMU 1820 for less than $400. It occupies only one PCI slot (1212 needs two) and comes with a very convenient I/O breakout box.

I have a bud who swears by it and after hearing some of his Demos, I'm hooked but I'd also take a 1212 for recording.
 
Back
Top