What sound card would work for my computer?

Mine is the XtremeGamer Fatal1ty, pretty much the most over-hyped and over-priced of the lot, but I only paid $50 out of my own pocket for it due to having had a $100 gift card.

The XtremeMusic is favored due to its price, as it has all the useful features of the true X-Fi family, but is generally the cheapest since it lacks the virtually useless X-RAM or I/O module of the more expensive models. It also has the advantage of being modifiable for better sound quality. The opamps and capacitors can be be switched out for better quality ones if a person so desires. Otherwise it's just a very good sound card at a good price.

I believe the XtremeGamer is the only one with the front panel pin-outs. Otherwise you have to make or buy a cable such as this:

http://img482.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xfifpmodbq5.jpg

You're better off not using front panel audio connections, they're prone to poor sound quality and interference.

If you want to have speakers and headphones connected to the back of your card, get a Plantronics .Audio PC switch.

On a side note, I've been recommending that thing so much lately I almost feel Plantronics should give me a commission on the sales. :D

I believe the XtremeGamer is the only one with the front panel pin-outs. Otherwise you have to make or buy a cable such as this:

http://img482.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xfifpmodbq5.jpg

You're better off not using front panel audio connections, they're prone to poor sound quality and interference.

If you want to have speakers and headphones connected to the back of your card, get a Plantronics .Audio PC switch.

On a side note, I've been recommending that thing so much lately I almost feel Plantronics should give me a commission on the sales. :D

The XtremeGamer is the same card as the older XtremeMusic (even with the new design of the XtremeGamer, reflected as SB-073A, which not only has a lower profile than the XtremeMusic, but lower than even the old Aureal-based Diamoind MonsterSound MX-300, and on-par with the SoundBlaster 16PCI).

However, if you've seen the XtrremeMusic/Gamer (original design) and then see a newer XtremeGamer, you'd actually wonder if it's the same product.

One other surprise in the new design, in addition to the lowered profile, is the lack of a digital-audio input on the PCB (however, this should surprise nobody, as digital audio is normally transferred across the PCI bus). Sensible; but it will have those like me upgrading from an older sound card (especially an Audigy 2 ZS or older) scratching their heads (or chins).

Back