What software do I need to manage multiple esxi boxes.

AceXsmurF

[H]ard|Gawd
I am slowly but surely migrating my companies QA lab from VM workstation to ESXi machines.

My one issue is I would like a centrally managed way to see all the machines. Basically the VI client that can connect to multiple ESXi servers. Yes it would be awesome to have running VM's automatically move from a more loaded ESXi host to a less loaded if possible.

Unfortunately, 'the budget' doesn't allow me to do much right this second, what are some good reasonable suggestions, or even what would I ultimately need to do what I would want?

What you want is VMware Virtual Infrastructure (VI), and if you want Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) then you'll need to by the Enterprise version.

You can monitor multiple ESXi boxes with custom tools via the VI API, but you can't control the ESXi via the API.

The whole point is that the value added by centralized management justifies the cost of VI.

You could (for 60days) use ESX 3.5. For 60days, all of the features of ESX Enterprise are available to you. After 60days, the trial expires, and you will lose functionality. However, you can add an ESX host to you existing ESXi setup, which would allow you to use VirtualCenter Server. Once you have the ESX box up, and VirtualCetner running, you can connect to the VCServer, and add the ESX host and the ESXi host into the datacenter, and for 60days, you'll be able to use VMotion, VCB backup, DRS, HA, etc.

Optionally, for 60days, you can reload ESX on both machines, and test the differences between ESXi and ESX.

As Thuleman said, the difference between the ESX and ESXi solutions is that ESXi is meant to have (with the exception of needing a certified platform to run it on) a zero cost to implement and license. However, the rule of thumb is that if the feature you're after requires more than one host machine, ESXi doesn't do it. VMotion, DRS, HA, VCServer management...are all premium features. Also, the service console of ESXi is pretty well nailed down, and unmodifiable.

ESX is designed to be managed by VirtualCenter, and without it, is essentially useless.

Back