What socket?

mark6437

n00b
I am wanting to upgrade to the latest tech. Is it LGA 2011 or LGA 1150?

I think Ivy Bridge - E is latest but all of those are 2011's. I am confused

2011 is an older platform but they have new chips such as ivy bridge-e. These are 6 core chips which are aimed towards enthusiasts. The 1150 has the 4770k as their latest which is a 4 core chip. The 1150 is a cheaper platform to build.

LGA 2011 is the enthusiast platform. Ivy Bridge - E is the latest architecture available on it
LGA1150 is the mainstream platform. Haswell is the latest architecture available on it.

Haswell is the latest architecture out right now, but it's not going to have the features you'd get with a socket 2011 system, (e.g. quad channel memory, more PCIe lanes) but most people don't really even need them.

is LGA1150 Going to be getting Haswell-E?

Nope. Haswell-E is again, their enthusiast platform, which will be on a different socket. Rumor is LGA 2011 but the socket won't be the same as the current LGA 2011.

So the lateset CPU is on an outdated platform?

Latest and best are hard things to describe when it comes to tech. Haswell (LGA 1150) came out in June while Ivy Bridge-E was released in September. The IPC for Haswell is a little faster than IVB-E but IVB-E has CPUs with more cores and more PCIe lanes, making it great for multi-GPU setups or high-end workstations.

Last edited:
First decide what your needs are. Unless you need gigantic memory pools or are in need of a crapload of PCIe lanes, odds are you can save your money and skip LGA2011 and not miss anything,

That is correct. Which is why many people do not choose that platform this late in the cycle.

1150 will see upgrades and has a socket life through 2015. Unless you need quad channel memory or need more pci-e lanes, 1150 is a better choice. And my opinion has nothing to do with money.

Nope. Haswell-E is again, their enthusiast platform, which will be on a different socket. Rumor is LGA 2011 but the socket won't be the same as the current LGA 2011.

Ah, just heard rumors of it's arrival, I'm not a speculator. Tbh I just read the thread titles here on the forums. Thanks though.

Not exactly

LGA1150 is a recently introduced socket but it's aimed at the mainstream market. So it only has two ram channels and 16 lanes of PCIe from the CPU (plus up to 8 from the chipset depending on which chipset is chosen).

LGA2011 is a high end socket so it has more memory channels and more PCIe lanes, higher core count CPUs available but the individual cores in the LGA2011 processors are a generation behind those available for LGA1150. The chipset (there is only one desktop LGA2011 chipset though some desktop boards have used server chipsets) is also older and therefore it lacks USB3 and only two of the sata ports are 6G.

So basically if you have a real need for more than four cores, more than 32GB of ram or more than 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes then go for LGA2011. If you want the most recent CPU cores and chipset features go for LGA1150.

is LGA1150 Going to be getting Haswell-E?
No, the whole point of the -E variants is they have more memory channels and more PCIe than the regular desktop versions so they need bigger sockets

Haswell-E will apparently be on a completely new socket (confusingly called LGA2011-3). It will also apparently use DDR4 memory.

Back