What... Slow down in the new console games..Already

kmanuel

Weaksauce
I was just watching some clips of Ps3 and xb360 games and I saw games with some choppy frame rates.. This cannot be. Fancy graphics is nice but nothing below 60fps...

kmanuel said:
I was just watching some clips of Ps3 and xb360 games and I saw games with some choppy frame rates.. This cannot be. Fancy graphics is nice but nothing below 60fps...

These are first cuts and examples. But I suppose everything you do is perfect the day before you do it :rolleyes: Also most HDTV's only display 30FPS in progressive mode.

-tReP

Trepidati0n said:
Also most HDTV's only display 30FPS in progressive mode.

-tReP

Uhh, framerate has nothing to do with resolution/progressive scan with regards to HDTV's. They will display however many frames per second you feed them. I think you're getting confused with HDTV 1080i recorded video, which is in fact recorded and displayed at 30fps.

The game shots that you have seen are on dev kits that are alpha at best.

Yeesh! Some people's expectations of game developement are way out there. :eek:

thewhiteguy said:
It's obvious you aren't a software developer :rolleyes:

and why pray tell release a shitty as alpha or pre-alpha to show what you have if it is still shit??? Because of the ignorant masses like yourself that see pretty picture and say... ooohh looks good. But runs like a steaming pile of dog shit.

Perhaps they need to go to Id school of software development to see when to ACTUALLY release something worthwhile to the public... WHEN IT IS DONE!

rogue3092 said:
Uhh, framerate has nothing to do with resolution/progressive scan with regards to HDTV's. They will display however many frames per second you feed them. I think you're getting confused with HDTV 1080i recorded video, which is in fact recorded and displayed at 30fps.

Ummmm, no they will not. They display 60 frames in progressive mode and 30 in interlaced. That is like saying a CRT monitor will display as many framerates as you send it, it is not true. Hence the need for the Vsync option.

let me get this streight. Someone sits down and decides to make a demo of their game.
SO instead of making it look the best they can and make sure that it influences future buyers. THEY just throw some crap together and make their presentation and say well it looks like crap now but wait till it comes out.

MAN what the hell are you smoking

Sparks

The only console that didn't get choppy or have crappy framerates was either the SNES or the gameboy.

EVERYTHING else has plenty of games that just run at piss poor framerates. It's only when you've owned and gamed on a PC that you really notice this. Most consolers are content with it since they haven't experienced better.

The more complex these consoles get, the more chopy things will get. Hardware these days just doesn't consistently be fast or slow, it's alot more erratic. When you have a megadrive or whatever with a single chip doing things, framerates are either consistently high or low.

I remember me and my mate going round a friends house to play xbox halo multiplayer for the first time. We were just in hysterics at how pathetic it was and how my other mates just didn't notice it at all. Totally unplayable.

iori yagami said:
i've only seen choppy 360 games.
That's because you haven't seen any real games on the other platforms. It's pretty easy to make CGI run smooth.

:)

sparks said:
let me get this streight. Someone sits down and decides to make a demo of their game.
SO instead of making it look the best they can and make sure that it influences future buyers. THEY just throw some crap together and make their presentation and say well it looks like crap now but wait till it comes out.

MAN what the hell are you smoking

Sparks

E3 doesn't wait for game developers to have a polished finished product. Every company rushes to get something there, regardless of quality, so they can at least show the progress they are making.

From the article posted further up said:
Of the recent Xbox 360 gameplay footage we’ve seen so far, the one major concern has been that of the sometime sluggish framerate. In a recent discussion with a number of Microsoft executives, we managed to learn that all current Xbox 360 games that were shown at last night’s E3 press briefing are still running on alpha development kits that are not a true representation of what we can expect when the console launches this holiday season. Estimations are that the current kits are running at only 25-40% of the maximum power that the Xbox 360 will possess. Beta kits are scheduled to hit developers within the next 2 months and final hardware should arrive in early July.

mmmmmmkay

figgie said:
and why pray tell release a shitty as alpha or pre-alpha to show what you have if it is still shit??? Because of the ignorant masses like yourself that see pretty picture and say... ooohh looks good. But runs like a steaming pile of dog shit.

Perhaps they need to go to Id school of software development to see when to ACTUALLY release something worthwhile to the public... WHEN IT IS DONE!

Yep that is what companies do....They don't advertise at all then release a superior product. Hrm...Beta. People are fickle. You need to grab their attention early and often to make a lasting impression. If you do that your long term goals can be satisified. The best product doesn't always win...the best selling products wins.

Please go back to your ideal world which won't exist in your lifetime.

-tReP

peltman78 said:
Ummmm, no they will not. They display 60 frames in progressive mode and 30 in interlaced. That is like saying a CRT monitor will display as many framerates as you send it, it is not true. Hence the need for the Vsync option.

I think you have it backwards. Interlaced video displays half of the vertical scan line information every 1/60th of a second. Example: for 1080i, 540 lines are displayed every 1/60th of a second. With progressive scan, all vertical scan line information is displayed every 1/30th of a second.

Trepidati0n said:
Yep that is what companies do....They don't advertise at all then release a superior product. Hrm...Beta. People are fickle. You need to grab their attention early and often to make a lasting impression. If you do that your long term goals can be satisified. The best product doesn't always win...the best selling products wins.

Please go back to your ideal world which won't exist in your lifetime.

-tReP

very good.

by the time Beta comes around. Most of the serious defects are gone. Since it was in testing and then Alpha before hand. People are not fickle. A PERSON is fickle. People are more ignorant and the adage monkey see, monkey do applys more appropiately in the "peoples" case.

Weird that you say about the best product. Last time i seen Carmacks pockets. He looks like he is winning. Even with Doom3. BUt we all know that the game is not what makes the cash. It is the technology behind it ;) OOh wait. Apparently you don't as you keep bringing in people into the picture when the focus that Id and Epic wants is DEVELOPERS. And guess what. Developers actually like a working product that delivers what is designed to do. Guess why Epic and Id are actually making money. The answer is not the games they sell ;) People on the other hand. if it looks pretty. They buy it regardless of how it runs.

They get the final dev kits for the Xbox360 in July. Every game on the Xbox360 that you have seen is running on alpha kits. Alpha kits that are 1/3 the power.

For the PS3 you saw the Unreal3 demo and the Fight Night 3 demo running on alpha kits for the PS3. Everything else you saw from the PS3 show was CG.

spine said:
The only console that didn't get choppy or have crappy framerates was either the SNES or the gameboy.
What are you talking about? You've never played super mario world have you? Forest of Illusion, first level, with the star. Yeah. Sketch.

figgie said:
very good.

by the time Beta comes around. Most of the serious defects are gone. Since it was in testing and then Alpha before hand. People are not fickle. A PERSON is fickle. People are more ignorant and the adage monkey see, monkey do applys more appropiately in the "peoples" case.

Weird that you say about the best product. Last time i seen Carmacks pockets. He looks like he is winning. Even with Doom3. BUt we all know that the game is not what makes the cash. It is the technology behind it ;) OOh wait. Apparently you don't as you keep bringing in people into the picture when the focus that Id and Epic wants is DEVELOPERS. And guess what. Developers actually like a working product that delivers what is designed to do. Guess why Epic and Id are actually making money. The answer is not the games they sell ;) People on the other hand. if it looks pretty. They buy it regardless of how it runs.

I think I half understand what you are saying. But hell if I can string two of your sentences together into a cohesive thought. I would like to understand what you are trying to say if you can word it a bit more clearly.

-tReP

Trepidati0n said:
I think I half understand what you are saying. But hell if I can string two of your sentences together into a cohesive thought. I would like to understand what you are trying to say if you can word it a bit more clearly.

-tReP

Good, I thought I was the only one that could not make sence of that.

well at least for me, I downloaded the HD videos at work for the 360 and they were choppy looking due to my work machines inability to play them while running all my work apps. My home machine played them smoothly, or if I played them at 50% they played fine on my work machine.

What I did notice that might be called chop is definitely memory swap and load hitches now and then. That's not going to be a console only issue though console memory limitations will make it worse. There's jsut going to be a buttload of textures, and certain transitions that require you to load a bunch of new ones and/or unload a bunch of old ones will cause latency.

canislupy said:
I think you have it backwards. Interlaced video displays half of the vertical scan line information every 1/60th of a second. Example: for 1080i, 540 lines are displayed every 1/60th of a second. With progressive scan, all vertical scan line information is displayed every 1/60th of a second.
fixed it for ya

Back