What size PSU would you recommend?

Draugauth

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 29, 2007
Messages
302
I plan on taking my server up to 24 drives total. 2 of which will be SSD. 22 will be 2TB drives running off of a raid controller.

Low end graphics card although I may stick with the on CPU GPU. Looking at an i5 3570K and motherboard as of yet to be determined. I may put in a 560 or 570 card later on for some light gaming but I doubt it as the 3570K should be able to handle 1080p video output for movies and what not just fine.

Already picked out my case. Just need to figure out the PSU and then pick the motherboard. Already have 16GB of ram set aside for it (well it will be coming out of my gaming rig once I upgrade it to 32GB).

Thanks in advance!
 
Unless your raid card has a staggered spin up option, 22 hdds could take over 400w alone during spin up. So 550w with no video card, 700+w depending on video card.
 
Alright thanks for the info. I'll plan on a 750W power supply then.

DJ Big T: Awesome Calc. Thanks for the link. It is now
 
That power supply calculator grossly overestimates power usage.

With a 570 and that many hard drives, a 600 watt power supply should be sufficient. True, the hard drives are going to use a massive amount of power on startup, but your CPU and GPU will be idling. Unless you're attempting to access all 22 hard drives at the same time while running P95 and furmark, each hard drive should draw 5 watts or less each, totaling 110 watts or less. CPU is less than 70 watts, and GPU is about 200 watts. The rest of your peripherals are maybe 50 watts (including board and fans.)
 
I would recommend a Corsair CMPSU-650TX

Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, Etc. These brands give you quality power supplies. Never cheap out on the power supply.

A good 600w+ power supply should work just fine.
 
Alright I will look at something in the 600-750W range. I know Antec is good as I have used them a lot. How do the OCz's handle?
 
Alright I will look at something in the 600-750W range. I know Antec is good as I have used them a lot. How do the OCz's handle?
That's a poor approach to buying a PSU, you want to go on a case by case basis and not by brand.... give us your budget and link the shop/s you'll be buying from, we'll take a look at what's on offer and give you some suggestions. :)
 
Alright I will look at something in the 600-750W range. I know Antec is good as I have used them a lot. How do the OCz's handle?

I second Profumo's response: Most brands have both good and mediocre models in the same advertised wattage range, while other brands have crappy or even shitty models in that same range. In fact, the majority of PSUs in the 600 to 750 watt range can't reallt handle more than about 500 watts without having the output wander out of the ATX spec.
 
Please not that one. Use this one if any, cooked up by PSU gurus online:

http://psucalc.net/

I tend to agree with this. In fact, the eXtreme calculator suffers from the very same failing as most other online PSU calculators: The values that they assume for the components are just plain wrong.

To give an example, consider my main i7-2600K rig with 16GB of RAM, five 7200 RPM hard drives, four case fans and a GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 GPU. The eXtreme calculator recommended a PSU that's about 32W higher than the psucalc program recommended - 492W versus 460W. With an overclock to 4.4GHz plus folding, the eXtreme calculator recommended a 749W PSU versus the psucalc's 550W PSU recommendation.
 
I'll be buying from Newegg most likely as they have the case I want. The Norco Server case with 24 HDD mounts in it.

Edit** As for the money. I don't want to go ridiculous but I do understand that you get what you pay for and am willing to pay for a premium product that can handle the job. so cap at 150$ ;) unless you can really articulate why the PSU would be worth getting.
 
I'll be buying from Newegg most likely as they have the case I want. The Norco Server case with 24 HDD mounts in it.

Edit** As for the money. I don't want to go ridiculous but I do understand that you get what you pay for and am willing to pay for a premium product that can handle the job. so cap at 150$ ;) unless you can really articulate why the PSU would be worth getting.

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 80 PLUS SILVER Power Supply should do the trick.

I didn't know the PSU calculator I referenced was so inaccurate. I apologize for that.
 
I'll be buying from Newegg most likely as they have the case I want. The Norco Server case with 24 HDD mounts in it.

Edit** As for the money. I don't want to go ridiculous but I do understand that you get what you pay for and am willing to pay for a premium product that can handle the job. so cap at 150$ ;) unless you can really articulate why the PSU would be worth getting.
Here you go, simply excellent value.
 
What about the Rosewill Capstone or Lightning?

Jorona recommended the Capstone.



To all. Ok I think I will go with the Capstone that Jorona recommended. Thank you all for your advice and suggestions I really appreciate it.
 
Back
Top