What size PSU for i7?

jseko

n00b
Joined
Jul 29, 2010
Messages
46
I am building an i7 860 computer with the following:

Intel i7 860
Asus P55 motherboard
Intel X25m SSD
WD Caviar black 1TB
WD Caviar green 1TB

Geforce 9600, 512 MB
4GB RAM DDR3, 1.35V Mushkin

What size PSU do I need?

I am not a gamer, I do not plan to do SLI or upgrade the video card.

I am using the computer for digital photography/image manipulation and video editing.
 
A good 500watt psu would be fine, Corsair, Antec type etc.
 
My neighbor across the street is selling a new in open box Antec Neo 650W. Since this can supply 150 to 250W more than what is being suggested, I assume that it is still ok? This appears to be an ok PSU from what I can find aside from that it only has 4 SATA power connector.

The PSU is new in box but shrink wrap is opened. Appears to be opened but never used.
 
My neighbor across the street is selling a new in open box Antec Neo 650W. Since this can supply 150 to 250W more than what is being suggested, I assume that it is still ok? This appears to be an ok PSU from what I can find aside from that it only has 4 SATA power connector.

The PSU is new in box but shrink wrap is opened. Appears to be opened but never used.
The 650W Neopower is a good PSU and will be plenty for your system.
 
This 400W power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA
should be good for you. It's only $30 AR.

The 650W Neopower is a good PSU and will be plenty for your system.

The neighbor is selling the Neopower 650W for $40. Seems like a good deal. Said he got it for $50 from Fry's and bought it as a spare but now wants SLI and he's getting a 1kW unit of some sort.

I have found this calculator to be pretty nifty

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

That's a sweet calculator. It recommends me 420-500W PSU. Though I don't know how they differentiate regular and high performance motherboard. I have Asus Sabertooth P55.
 
The neighbor is selling the Neopower 650W for $40. Seems like a good deal. Said he got it for $50 from Fry's and bought it as a spare but now wants SLI and he's getting a 1kW unit of some sort.
Go with the Neopower.
 
I am building an i7 860 computer with the following:

Intel i7 860
Asus P55 motherboard
Intel X25m SSD
WD Caviar black 1TB
WD Caviar green 1TB

Geforce 9600, 512 MB
4GB RAM DDR3, 1.35V Mushkin

What size PSU do I need?

I am not a gamer, I do not plan to do SLI or upgrade the video card.

I am using the computer for digital photography/image manipulation and video editing.

If you don't game (and assuming you don't use it for cuda or hd, etc.) drop that Geforce card and just use the onboard video if it has one. That'll have you some juice. Power specs on nvidia site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9600gt_us.html
 
400w is enough but Id get at least 500w for a little more headroom if you decide to overclock
 
Could he be talking about the mobo?
Yea, some boards have integrated video. Also even a cheap Matrox PCI video card will knock a lot of watts off compared to that Geforce card.
No LGA1156 boards have integrated video. With that platform, the IGP is built into the CPU, not the chipset. If the CPU does not have an IGP, then you cannot use integrated video on any motherboard.
 
No LGA1156 boards have integrated video. With that platform, the IGP is built into the CPU, not the chipset. If the CPU does not have an IGP, then you cannot use integrated video on any motherboard.

I see, now I know.
 
Back
Top