What size holesaw???

1 in = 2.54 cm

80 millimeter = 3.15 in

3 inch hole saw...remember 3 in is the ID not the OD...so the hole will be slightlt over 3 inches due to the saws kerf...

Kerf = The width of a groove made by a cutting tool.

MD

MD_Willington said:
1 in = 2.54 cm

80 millimeter = 3.15 in

3 inch hole saw...remember 3 in is the ID not the OD...so the hole will be slightlt over 3 inches due to the saws kerf...

Kerf = The width of a groove made by a cutting tool.

MD
I did not know that. I would have figured if someone working with wood would want a 3" hole in something that they would use a saw that would leave a 3" hole. Why would hardware manufacturers size them from th ID and not the OD? That doesn't make sence to me. But then again I think it's silly that a 2x4 isn't 2" x 4"

ps: I am aware of why a 2x4 is sized that way.

redhalo said:
I did not know that. I would have figured if someone working with wood would want a 3" hole in something that they would use a saw that would leave a 3" hole. Why would hardware manufacturers size them from th ID and not the OD? That doesn't make sence to me. But then again I think it's silly that a 2x4 isn't 2" x 4"

It just the way thay make them. Its just like if you were cutting lets say pipe with a cutoff wheel. You have to make sure you think of how thick the disc is when cutting. ;)

buy a 73mm holesaw, it makes perfect size holes for 80mm fans. home dipot has them for like 20 or 30 bucks with the drill set in the middle, for just the saw its like 10

they dont sell 80mm holesaws btw

drill.jpg

I use a 3 1/8 or 79 MM for cutting 80 mm fan holes.
Always make speaker grill covers too, this size seems to work.

Back