What single GPU would replace

my 560 (no ti) sli setup? I am considering going with just one GPU but not sure if that would be better or worse than where I am today, but with so much data out there and me being pretty new to the world of PC gaming, I am not sure which single card would match or exceed my sli setup.

The games I have played to date is Crysis 2 and Batman Arkham City. I have the original Crysis, Crysis Warhead and plan to play BF3 and couple other games (call of duty etc.); pretty much the shooter games for now. I also plan to install a 2nd monitor, but not for gaming. The computer has double duty: photo editing and gaming. The costs of the gpu is not an issue, but I don't want a card that would limit future upgrades either.

Any help would be appreaciated.

Thanks...Al

System Info:

Monitor: Dell U2412 (1920x1200)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
PSU: Corsair Gold AX750
MB: Asus P8 z68-V Pro
CPU: Intel i7 2600K @4.6ghz
RAM: Corsair Vengenance 16gb DDR3 SDRAM 1600
Video: Asus GTX 560 SLI @950mhz
Audio: Ausus Zonar 7.1
OS Drive: OCZ Vertex 3 120gb SSD
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blk 2tb, Sata 6.0gb/s HDD
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper Evo
Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD burner

If you want just a single GPU then a HD 7970 or a decently overclocked GTX 580 would probably be your best bet for similar performance.

No point in making a new thread when this is here... What about myself and my 8800 GTXs in SLI? I've wondered this for a while now. Would I have achieved similar performance from a single gpu a couple generations back? Maybe in the 400 series?

I'm excited for kepler and will be making a red/green decision for a new single gpu once there are benches and reviews.

Which manufacturer would you suggest for either card (Asus, EVGA, MSI etc.)?

Thanks

If you want just a single GPU then a HD 7970 or a decently overclocked GTX 580 would probably be your best bet for similar performance.

Last edited:
I'm guessing your best bet would be the gtx 470 or 480. Personally, as things look now, I'd wait for the 7850.

Which manufacturer would you suggest for the 580 (Asus, EVGA, etc.)?

Thanks

If you want to stick with Nvidia then I'd say grab yourself a EVGA GTX 580 for two reasons.

1) Lifetime warranty and great customer support from my experience.
2) 90 Day Step-Up program which would be ideal since Kepler might be right around the corner. Might be able to step up to Kepler for better performance at little to no extra cost.

No point in making a new thread when this is here... What about myself and my 8800 GTXs in SLI? I've wondered this for a while now. Would I have achieved similar performance from a single gpu a couple generations back? Maybe in the 400 series?

I'm excited for kepler and will be making a red/green decision for a new single gpu once there are benches and reviews.

If I had to guess, I'd probably say 8800 GTX SLI would be equivalent to maybe a GTX 460.

If I had to guess, I'd probably say 8800 GTX SLI would be equivalent to maybe a GTX 460.

Cool, thanks! So if I grab myself a 7970 or top sku gk 104 ill be looking at like triple my current performance?

Cool, thanks! So if I grab myself a 7970 or top sku gk 104 ill be looking at like triple my current performance?

With a HD 7970 I would expect somewhere around 2.0-2.5x the performance you currently have with your 8800 GTX SLI set-up, no guarantees though. As for Kepler, we'll just have to wait and see. :D

I did not know there are some new gpus being announced soon. I probably should wait and see how things shake out.

Last edited:
Back