What silicon for my SATA HDD when I reformat

infin|ty

[H]ard|Gawd
I was reformating and I put in the floppy I get so I can use my SATA hard drive. So first off if I already have XP on my computer and it's working but I want to reformat, I would set it to first boot cd rom but when XP says press enter to continue in the Reformat screen, it says it cant find the hard drive. Now this is suppost to happen right? So I put in the floppy for the SATA and pressed F6 to add raid or scisi drive thing. Then alittle later on...(15 seconds) it will ask for what scisi adapter I want to add. Now the first time I reformated was when I was switching TO this new SATA hard drive and im not sure if I grabbed a different version SATA floppy disk b/c I have two NF7-S motherboards bought at two different times so the floppies might have been different BUT this time when it asks for the scisi adapter, there are only 3 choices and last time, I believe there were 6. Now last time I didnt know what to pick. And I did like silicone something something for XP. This time there was something like "intel" (this option was there that last time as well) and abunch of #'s blah blah blah and silicone something something for XP and then Silicone for windows 2000 or something. I picked Silicone for XP.
So first..my question is, did I pick the right one. Second...why is there only 3 choices now rather than the 6 I had last time. Third...I did do the whole process right...right?

This must be super confusing but please try to understand what Im saying here lmao.

Thanks

R u trying to install a SATA hardrive or Raid? I think you're talking bout Silicon Image Raid...lol....just configure things first in the bios before you try to install winxp, it's much easier that way....

Peace,
henessey

ok it appears that I have installed a SATARaid driver but why is my sata Hdd working with that? Is anything wrong w/ that?

btw if I try to delete it...will that make my HDD not work?

Could I install the right SATA from that floppy and then erase the raidsata? Please help..btw I found the other SATA Floppy w/ the other options on it. Do I want the intel one?

If it's allowing Windows to see your drive and install, then you should be fine.
After Windows is up and running, go to the manufacturers website and grab the latest drivers for your particular controller, and reinstall them, just to be sure.

If you have a non native S-ATA controller, like the Silicon Image Controller.
You have to supply the controller driver to windows during install, otherwise windows won't see the drive attached to the controller. And if you uninstall it you will loose acces to the drive also(also makes the drive unbootable - since windows don't know how to access the drive).

Hope that clears things up :)

Back