What should I use an extra 5.25" bay for?

JOSHSKORN

Limp Gawd
Here's my situation. My computer's motherboard died a few weeks ago, I bought all new parts (video card, motherboard, CPU, RAM). I found out that my existing blu-ray drive was compatible, but my DVD-ROM and DVD DL Burner were not, as they had IDE connectors and my new motherboard only supports SATA. My computer case has 4 slots, two of which I have filled. One is the mentioned Blu-ray, and the other is a temp monitor that came with my motherboard. (ASUS Rampage V Extreme)

I thought about just replacing one of the useless drives with a SATA DVD DL drive. My old DL drive did not seem to want to read certain CDs or DVDs, so I depended on my DVD-ROM at times. I can't really seem to find a DVD ROM, nowadays.

Rather than try to find some sort of IDE->SATA adapter, I'm just going to get a new, FASTER drive.

That said, I'd have a blank 5.25" bay.

What are my options? I have PLENTY of USB 2.0/3.0 ports, really no need for a card reader, since the devices I have with MicroSD, also support USB file transfer. I have no use for some sort of hot-swapping HDD option.

My computer case is a Fractal Design Define XL R2.

Buy a DVD burner for $20. Two drives are always easier than using temp files on the hard drive. Heck, you can buy an Asus Blue Ray burner for $50 w/MIR from newegg right now!

I'd vote bluray burner if the extra funds are available. Seems slightly more future proof. Optical disks are on their way out, but at least blank blu rays are more convenient for system backups as they hold more data.

If you want to spend a little less, there are some nice looking fan controllers for ~$25. Even if you don't hook much up to them, they look cool. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I might just buy an extra ASUS burner since they're $20. I see no use in buying a blu-ray burner, considering I already have one. I guess having an extra drive does come in handy if you're too lazy to swap CDs (like I am LOL). My motherboard already came with some sort of fan controller, although I haven't really figured out how to use it or if it's any good.

Are there any really good Sound Cards that have expansions that could utilize that slot?

Back