What should I go for? i5 2500K + GTX 570 SLI

LucasG

Gawd
I recently upgraded my PC and had a bad mobo, sent in for the RMA but it seems like I'm going to be getting my money back do to a long story I don't feel like explaining, the fact is I'm looking for a new quality mobo. I had purchased the GA-Z68X-UD4-B3.

What should I go for? I'm looking for something stable, good at overclocking the CPU (no interest in overclocking both cards and that's not over $150.

Any suggestions? I'm looking at something that will last me for a while.

If you can swing an extra $10 and don't mind rebates, the MSI Z68A-GD65 G3 on Newegg for $160 AR. Or the ASrock Extreme3 Gen3.

Or the ASrock Extreme3 Gen3.

+1 Votes for this one. I will be upgrading my PC this tax season and this is the board I'm getting with an i5. Also the Z68 chipsets are Ivy Bridge ready. ;)

If you can swing an extra $10 and don't mind rebates, the MSI Z68A-GD65 G3 on Newegg for $160 AR. Or the ASrock Extreme3 Gen3.

Extreme4 Gen3 Asrock Z68 looks more comparable to MSI Z68A-Gd65. I almost got the Asrock Extreme 4 but went with the MSI Gen3 A68A-GD65.

The MSI MB looks like it is better with the military class electrical components, dual bios chips, 5 years warranty and better customer support.

The Asrock Extreme4 Z68 colors and Gold capacitors look great. The heat sinks look very effective as well.

The reason why I didn't suggest the Extreme4 was because it was way out of his budget on Newegg, about $190 or so after shipping. The Extreme3 was much cheaper at about $125 after shipping.

Ah didn't see hes limited to 150$ neither i read about SLI part lol! sorry was reading the OP during thinking of somethink else :D

BTW Gene-Z gen3?

Edit ~ 170$ :(

You dont have to have issues, Asus is just way better for this generation.

Asus - Better LLC levels, better VRM design -less voltage fluctation, much better BIOS, more stable, less double post issues, better layout, better (usefull features) better memory comatability, CPU-z display correct volttage etc.

You dont have to have issues, Asus is just way better for this generation.

Asus - Better LLC levels, better VRM design -less voltage fluctation, much better BIOS, more stable, less double post issues, better layout, better (usefull features) better memory comatability, CPU-z display correct volttage etc.

I have heard so much negative about ASUS Z68. Good buddy of mine has had nothing but problems with his Asus Z68 mb.

I think I've seen the least problems with MSI and ASrock.

What's the difference between this and the Gen3?

For one thing, the AsRock warranty in the US is only 1 year I believe, vs ASUS' 3 years. (Gigabyte has 3 years also). I have the Z68- V Pro, and it's been a great board. I have been seeing many problems with AsRock boards pop up 4-5 months after buying one. ASUS is just a solid proven Sandy Bridge board. Many people seem to like the AsRock mobos, but it's almost like the cool fad right now. Same thing happened with Abit back with the 775 boards. Where's Abit now?

I also had a gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 that would not post out of the box. (Just anecdotal, doesn't mean anything either.) I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

Well just to throw in my two cents, I've got a Z68-UD4-B3 and its been a great board, every bios option I could ask for and coming from a DFI background, I'd say that's worth something. As far as layout goes its been great to work with, but it does suck you got a doa one. Mine is humming along happy at an easy 4.6, it will do 4.8 but the chip needs too many volts to be safe for 24/7, no voltage fluctuation here LLC set to 4 out of 10

Well just to throw in my two cents, I've got a Z68-UD4-B3 and its been a great board, every bios option I could ask for and coming from a DFI background, I'd say that's worth something. As far as layout goes its been great to work with, but it does suck you got a doa one. Mine is humming along happy at an easy 4.6, it will do 4.8 but the chip needs too many volts to be safe for 24/7, no voltage fluctuation here LLC set to 4 out of 10

It wasn't DOA. I started using the mobo and was fine. Once I got my second video card it shut down after doing a stress test in a game and then both cards after that started doing strange sounds (they are in RMA now) and after a while the mobo LAN just suddenly died. So I am RMAing the mobo and both video cards. I don't want to go through that again, I want something long lasting and try to be future-proof and quality mobo.

Well good to know your situation, I'm about to go crossfire with 6870's. Once my new Corsair 500r shows up...post back with my experience

I'm really having a hard time choosing a mobo. I'm looking for something good, with SLI, good OC abilities, durable and stable with good support. I guess I could shell a bit more than $150 for something that's also compatible with Ivy Bridge so I don't have to upgrade.

Do it! I have a ga-z68xp-UD4 that from the egg that I love. It is compatible with Ivy too i think it is going for 200 right now. If you dont care about the onboard graphics of the intel chips then get the x which is like 10 dollars cheaper. I find that the desktop and browsers run better off of the integrated intel GPU for virtu when I finally get my refund from newegg. (A 6950 died on me)

yeah get the 2500k, ga-z68xp-ud4, and a 20-50 case,

Last edited:
Back