what should i expect?

xXaNaXx

Gawd
just got me the following after having some problems with my motherboard:

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon

and i'll be using my (4x4GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3-1866 from my existing system

i'm using a XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 to cool the CPU.

the system is powered by a EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1kW PSU, so i have plenty of nice, clean power to go around with plenty to spare.

motherboard arrives tomorrow. what kind of overclock should i expect out of this setup?

Google comes up with nothing when i search for "X510B084", so i can't find much of anything about these specific CPU's. made in Vietnam:
kbvkur.jpg

Last edited:
You can expect at least 4.5Ghz. You'll be limited by heat more than anything else, test your overclocks using Aida64 or RealBench.

considering the stock boost clock is 4.4, i was hoping for at least 4.8 on air, hopefully better. i hate the heat myself, so i tend to keep the thermostat down pretty low in the house, so ambient temps are on my side a bit more than a lot of folks.

i also have a nice, roomy full tower case with really good crossflow, almost directly across the CPU cooler (intake in the front, across the CPU cooler, then exhaust directly out the rear....all 120mm), so i'm sure that will help some.

I've got 4.5Ghz in same setup. For better results you will need to take off the headspreader top off the processor, but you will loose your warranty and may damage the CPU core, be carefull with this procedure

Back