What should I do with my harddrives? SATA-II RAID or PATA RAID??

Spacy9

Scotch is my Lord and Savior
I am building a new computer and purchased 2 Hitachi 250Gb SATA-II HDs, and already have 4 80Gb PATA Seagate Drives. I have a DFI Nforce 4 SLI board that says it can do RAID for both the SATA and PATA drives. Now my question, should I use the SATA-II drives in RAID 0, 500Gb, for the Windows and Primary storage and use 2 80Gb PATA drives in Raid 0 for Games and Video. Or should I use 2 PATA drives for the Windows and Priamay storage and use the SATA-II drives for Games and Videos. Which would be better / faster?

Also, if I do use the 500GB RAID 0 for Windows shoud I partition it, and if so how big of partitions?

Thanks for any info...

I would think you should use the SATA drives for your boot partition. The faster that partition can go, the better for booting.

So, should I partition the 500Gb RAID 0 for the OS? If so, how big should I make the partition for Windows?

Thanks again!

I think you should use the drive independently in order to improve your performance. By splitting up the storage of your software according to the usage patterns that you are going to produce you will get a much greater improvement than from running RAID-0.

By having the OS on one drive and games on a second, you can use the two spindles independently and improve your seek times. Also, by using multiple swapfiles, the one on the HDD least used will be active if possible, further reducing the head movement and improving the performance.

Then again, if you just want to be cool and tell everybody that you have a stripe set, do that.

drizzt81 said:
Then again, if you just want to be cool and tell everybody that you have a stripe set, do that.
Word.
biggrin.gif

Back