What should I do with a Toshiba R100?

iroc409

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Toshiba R100 laptop laying around collecting dust. I want to figure out something to use it for, because it is one sweet little laptop. It is a 1Ghz Pentium M with 512MB RAM (upgradable to 1GB) and a 35-ish GB HDD, weighs 2.4lbs and is about .5" thick.

I would love to make it my travel laptop since it is probably as fast or faster (with RAM upgrade) as an EEPC, but I'm a little afraid of bending it. I have a 1.5Ghz T40 running Ubuntu that's doing a great job at that at the moment, and takes a beating with no complaints.

So, what should I do with it? Should I get one of those PCMCIA NIC's from Newegg for $15 and make it into a PfSense router in front of my Untangle machine? Should I install Linux on it, and make it into a RADIUS and/or Snort box? Plug a USB HDD into it and make it a MP3 server? Should I bother upgrading the RAM?

I would appreciate any ideas! :D

No, the Untangle box is an Intel DG945GCPE with 2GB RAM and a E1200 Celeron. It was running on a Celeron 420, but I picked up an E1200 for a file server I decided I didn't need and the 420 sits in the closet. :eek:

Back