What should I convert this .avi to?.. and please help me understand youtube

Wilken

Limp Gawd
I just bought my first webcam (a logitech communicate stx) and have been using the stock software to record videos. The entire reason that I bought the webcam is that I have to record an approximate 20 minute long video and preferably upload it to a website like youtube.com.

My problem is that the recorded file sizes are very large - a 3:00 minute long video came out to be a 41mb .avi file. I was wondering if there is a different format that I can convert the file to so the size will be reduced while still maintaining a decent video quality.

Also, my second issue is that on youtube.com it only allows you to upload a 100mb or 10 minute long file. BUT, I have seen a number of videos on youtube that are 2 hours long. How is it that people are able to put videos of that size on the site and yet when I went to do it I had a 100mb/10 minute limit?

Thanks a ton for input and suggestions.

Your video is most likely raw avi. You'll need to encode it with a codec like divx or xvid before you upload it. (codecs take away from the quality of the video but greatly decrease file size)

Back