What should I buy?

gotfrag?

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 7, 2005
Messages
272
Hey guys im on the market for a 19" lcd for "Gaming and Good Graphics"
I am currently looking at these:
940B
930BF
920B
VX924

Which one would be best for me?
And owners of the monitors please chime in!
 
is the viewsonic 8 bit?
is there a how big is the difference between 8 and 6 bit?
 
I added a few monitors to the equation
does the white-black-white response time matter more than the grey to grey?
 
gotfrag? said:
can anyone comment?

Well the VX922 is the fastest monitor in the world although its not the best for graphic designers because of the viewing angles and 6bit TN panel. In another thread, a person posted a chart showing that the vx922 never went over 10ms unlike other panels that claim low response times (French THG).

I'm still looking at the Hyundai Q90u 3ms which costs around $320. Its a bit slower than vx922 but according to behardware it has great colors, stand adjustability and should be decent for games.
 
I think the vx922 is a little too far out of my budget.
So im thinking of either the vx924 or the 920b
the 920b is 8bit but it is a little bit slower
the vx924 is 6bit is a little faster
which one is better?
how much is the difference between 8 and 6 bit?
 
Its hard to say exactly whats the difference between 6bit and 8bit. Some people can't see a difference but others claim they see color banding. Some people with 6bit screens say they don't see any color banding and its just as good as 8bit screens. On the downside, 6bit TN panels don't have very good viewing angles which can intefere with image quality. You have to keep your view dead on center or else the color will fade and the picture quality will decrease.

6bit panels are usually faster than 8bit panels but recently the NEC 20"WS 8bit IPS screen some say is as fast as a 2ms TN 6bit panel.

My choice between the Vp920b and Vx924 I would pick the Vp920b because of the swivel and height adjustment plus it looks more professional and classier. I'm not sure if its an actual 8bit screen. In terms of response, I can't really comment on the vp920b because there are currently no reviews out and I haven't seen it in action with my own eyes.

Some people might reccommend the VP930b which is a 8ms grey to grey lcd monitor, but I didn't find it fast enough for gaming. Screen Blur was clearly evident while playing GTA San Andreas and UT2k4.

I hope that helps :)
 
hmm ok, so i guess I will have to find a store with those monitors to look at.
does the 94b have any advantage over the 920b or the vx924?
 
gotfrag? said:
how much is the difference between 8 and 6 bit?
There is a diference between 8bit and 6bi panels but its very very VERY hard to notice.
I switched from 8bit to 6bit yesterday, and the 8bit seemed a bit more vibrant, but nothing I would complain about. If I was doing pro photo work I'd probabl go with 8 Bits.
As for gaming, there is no disernible color difference, the games look just as crisp on the 6Bit panel.
And now that I can compare to a CRT here at work, the 6Bit panel is ine and still LOOKS better then a CRT.
The 8 bit panels tend to be PVA/MVA which are slower in reponse and feel different when you sit in front of them.6 bit panels are TN and (for me) they feel more natural.
The Samsung 940B has recieved high praises and the VX924 is a great buy in my eyes.
I would stay away from 920 untill you see some serious reviews (customer reviews that is), if it's from the VP930 family then the backlight issues will probably follow..
 
gotfrag? said:
Thanks for the reply on the 6/8 bit thing
I think that the VX924 is a big contender for me, not the 940B so much because it is slower.
Now I saw the Hyundai Q90u
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=manufactory&item=24-179-027
It is 8bit and has higher contrast ratio, its gtg response time is good but i dont know about the black to white to black. It seems like a good lcd.

Hyundai is 6bit. Its using a samsung panel, i think the same one in the 940bf but I'm not totally sure I could be wrong.

Hopefully samsung panels/ Hyundai LCd's don't suffer from the screendoor effect, backlight bleeding and extremely high brightness like viewsonic's monitors.
 
you can notice banding in things like fog, sunsets, etc on a 6bit panel, otherwise its fine. Mine is 6 and its a rare day when I notice it, although if I were doing professional photoshop work or something it would be unacceptable.
 
You don't have to spam your post in every fucking thread JJK :rolleyes:

OP: I have a 6bit panel (Samsung 940b) and it does get annoying somtimes. I usually notice it in low quality pictures. What often happens is that the blacks on a somewhat crappy picture look kind of green on a CRT, this panel makes it 10X worse. I can also sometimes notice somewhat unnatural colors and a little banding on "nature" films. Also there seems to be some difference in colors in general. For example de_dust in CS:S looks sort of white on alot of monitors but it looks alot more yellow on this monitor. I think it looks better this way but it was probably intended to be more like what my CRT makes it look like.
 
Back
Top