• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What screen resolution are you using?

behr

n00b
Joined
Nov 10, 2007
Messages
40
I have HP 2035 20" 1600x1200 LCD.

It is suggested to use native resolution for LCDs. But, text is too small at 1600x1200 resolution.
I increased the DPI to 120 and turned on the ClearType. But, text is still fuzzy.

I used multiple resolutions and I like 1024x768 the best.

However, my CRT Sony G520 is also 1024x768 but text is much sharper.

My eyes get watery after a while using LCD and people are saying LCDs are better than CRTs for text.
I don't know what's wrong.

What do you suggest?

Thanks.
 
laptop screen 1440X900. Had a cheap 1280x1024 19" xerox lcd hooked up to it that my parents couldn't get to work(worked on my laptop), but it died on me a few days ago.
 
Laptop: 1400x1050 on a 12.1" Toshiba
Desktop: 1920x1080 on Samsung LN32A550 and 1280x1024 on Dell Ultrasharp 19"
 
1920x1200, My screens that's max supported, and it's a 24" but in my display settings theres an option to go 2400x1472 (somewhere along the lines) whats up with that?
 
I have HP 2035 20" 1600x1200 LCD.

It is suggested to use native resolution for LCDs. But, text is too small at 1600x1200 resolution.
I increased the DPI to 120 and turned on the ClearType. But, text is still fuzzy.

I used multiple resolutions and I like 1024x768 the best.

Do you sit really far away? Have you had vision checked recently? Ask your optometrist about computer glasses if you have significant presbyopia .

I use 1920x1200 native with normal font size on my 24" LCD.

At work I use a 21" CRT around the same size as your LCD and I run it at 1600x1200. We also have 20" LCD 1600x1200 LCDs (HP 2065) and they are definitely sharper and clearer than CRT.

I have no trouble with 1600x1200 on 20 inch CRT/LCD. We have 50 year old programmers who use the same resolution. Unless you have vision problems you shouldn't need to run a 20" screen at 1024x768.
 
HP LP2475w, 1920x1200.

I just got given a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop which is 14.1" at 1024x768.. not so good.
 
I use 1920x1200 native with normal font size on my 24" LCD.

At work I use a 21" CRT around the same size as your LCD and I run it at 1600x1200. We also have 20" LCD 1600x1200 LCDs (HP 2065) and they are definitely sharper and clearer than CRT.

I have no trouble with 1600x1200 on 20 inch CRT/LCD. We have 50 year old programmers who use the same resolution. Unless you have vision problems you shouldn't need to run a 20" screen at 1024x768.

I have an old 21" CRT (20 viewable), and I run it at 1280 x 1024. It was the right "Fit" for me. 1600 x 1200 sort of "scrunches" the letters and makes them look smaller, but 1280 x 1024 makes them look right.

All the shopping that I've done for LCD's and checking them out, 1920 x 1200 on a 24" LCD looks to be comparable/good. :)
 
Desktop is a Samsung 21.6" @ 1680x1050
Old toshebia laptop 15" at 1600x1200
Lenovo X61S at something pretty pitiful lol
 
1920x1200 on a 24" Soyo DYLM24D6 P-MVA panel widescreen LCD
1880x1440 on a 21" HP P1110 (Sony Trinitron) CRT
1600x1200 on a 20" Samsung Syncmaster 204B TN panel LCD
1680x1050 on a 15.4" ASUS Z71V laptop TN panel widescreen LCD
1280x1024 on a 15" NEC Multisync XV15+ CRT
1024x768 on a 15" Sony TN panel LCD

No issues with usability / viewability on any of them.

If you can't see the text / it makes your eyes water / head hurt, you either need to get your eyes checked or there's something wrong with the monitor. Consider turning down the brightness a bit.
 
...My eyes get watery after a while using LCD and people are saying LCDs are better than CRTs for text...

LCD is terrible for text, or terrible enough anyway, if you don't use the native resolution.
 
Gateway XHD3000 @ 2560x1600.

--

I've done nothing to the text to make it bigger and although it can be small at times, I've just gotten used to it. I've got no real miraculous answers for you unfortunately. Since you are running is a resolution that is not your LCD's native, text is going to be fuzzy no matter what you do to it. The further from native you get, the fuzzier it's going to get. You've already increased the dpi, that would have been one suggestion. Apart form that I've read Firefox 3 allows you to increase your text size for Internet use. Given the suggesutions others have already offered I'm not sure what else to add.
 
1024 x 768 on desktop 17" crt
1280 x 800 on notebook 17" lcd (1440 x 900 native)

I too hate those small pixels. I don't know what are they thinking with these small pixel pitches. The 0.255 of my notebook is a killer, I don't know how can people buy those 1680 x 1050 15.4" or so laptops. Oh yeah, and I hate wide screens too.
I suppose I could like a 19" 1280 x 1024, too bad that their prices aren't getting lower, but instead they are being replaced by useless 1440 x 900 widescreens.
 
Gateway XHD3000 @ 2560x1600.
Apart form that I've read Firefox 3 allows you to increase your text size for Internet use. Given the suggesutions others have already offered I'm not sure what else to add.

Oh yeah, I increase the fonts to 22 on all my browsers, but it works only on text. I zoom often otherwise.
 
Lol it's pretty rare to see someone hating on higher DPI (vs. lower). I think you're a perfect candidate to use an HDTV for computer use. 32" or 37" would be perfect for you - especially 37", since you could sit almost 4' back and have very readable text.
 
I am surprised you all use these high resolutions. Do you use 96 DPI or are you using default text size? I use the smallest text size 12px on the internet. That probably is one difference.

My vision is fine, actually is more sensitive than others. that's probably why it bothers me. People
say Apple LCDs are the best, but my CRT is much better.

I can use higher resolutions on CRT. My problem is LCD. Although 1600x1200 looks too small on CRT, it is still clearer than LCD at 1600x1200 native resolution.

I can get closer to LCD screen but I have not worked like that on CRT. I don't think that will be ergonomic.

I work with computers long hours. If I only used for a few minutes, that would be OK. I read people say LCD is better for eyes than CRT, that's why I bought it. I looked at so many LCDs in stores. I never liked any of them. I thought maybe they were not adjusted well and they were TNT panels.
 
I can't stand LCDs running at anything but the native resolution for general computing.

Although I've used 1024x768 in the past (though not much; on my old 17" CRTs I used 1152x864) it now seems extremely cramped on this new laptop. High resolution screens get the interface out of the way and let you focus on the content, whereas everything feels letterboxed and cramped at 1024x768, and the interface/chrome becomes dominant.
 
I don't have a desktop at the moment.

Laptop 1600 x 900 Sony Vaio 16.4"
 
1024 x 768 on desktop 17" crt
1280 x 800 on notebook 17" lcd (1440 x 900 native)

I too hate those small pixels. I don't know what are they thinking with these small pixel pitches. The 0.255 of my notebook is a killer, I don't know how can people buy those 1680 x 1050 15.4" or so laptops. Oh yeah, and I hate wide screens too.
I suppose I could like a 19" 1280 x 1024, too bad that their prices aren't getting lower, but instead they are being replaced by useless 1440 x 900 widescreens.

I didn't like widescreen until I got one that was actually worth bothering with (24" Soyo at 1920x1200) -- up until then I'd used CRTs, and a 20" standard aspect Samsung LCD.

I don't see why you're complaining about small pixel pitch, but... I'm also someone that ran 1880x1440 on a 21" CRT for years and wanted more.
 
I am surprised you all use these high resolutions. Do you use 96 DPI or are you using default text size? I use the smallest text size 12px on the internet. That probably is one difference.

I don't know about your computer, but 96dpi is the default size on mine. I have three choices
Normal size (96 dpi). (chosen)
Large size (120 dpi).
Custom setting.

My vision is fine, actually is more sensitive than others. that's probably why it bothers me. People
say Apple LCDs are the best, but my CRT is much better.

More sensitive maybe, but better doesn't seem likely given your need to run at lower resolution and much bigger fonts as a result. LCDs undoubtedly give clear sharper text at native resolution. But people exaggerate the easier on the eyes part. This only applies to people who have problems with CRT. I never had such problems. I don't find LCD any easier on the eyes. But they are sharper. If you have 20-20 vision you should have no issue with native resolution on LCD.

The other factor about your vision. LCDs are sharper than CRT, it is a fact. If you don't see it that way there is something strange with your vision. Now if you had claimed it was too sharp, I might agree you have excellent vision and you just need time to adjust. But LCDs are sharper(at native resolution), no question.

I can get closer to LCD screen but I have not worked like that on CRT. I don't think that will be ergonomic.

NEC recommends something like 20 inches as ideal and a range of 16 inches to 24 inches. I am usually at 20 to 24 inches. But this depends on the individual an the activity, as a programmer I am trying to cram as much code on screen as possible so it is small, so I need to be closer than someone looking at video. There is no such thing as too close unless it is uncomfortable.

I work with computers long hours. If I only used for a few minutes, that would be OK.

I am a computer programmer. I have probably logged 12+ screen hours per day for the last 12 years. I would never use any LCD at less than native resolution, my CRTs tend to be maxed out. Screen real estate is the name of the game, the more you can get on screen the more of the problem you can see at one time.

Make sure your brightness is appropriate. LCDs are brighter than CRTs, that hurt my eyes on a couple of screens with inadequate brightness adjustment.
 
I use 1680x1050 on my 20" iMac, which is native res. I'm only 15 so perhaps it's just my young eyes, but the text seems fine to me, and it's nice to be able to view web pages in a wider format, and fit more on a page.
 
Monitor: Dell 3007WFP 30" LCD
Resolution: 2560x1600

Monitor: Viewsonic VP201s 20" LCD
Resolution: 1600x1200

Monitor: Viewsonic VX2025wm 20" LCD
Resolution: 1680x1050
 
Left monitor: 1680x1050 (20")
Main Monitor: 1900x1200 (26")
Right Laptop: 1680x1050 (15.4")

Two system connect through synergy, which I absolutely love.
 
I am still using a 17inch Dell LCD with max 1024x768.
Had that for the past 5 years and playing COD4 at that resolution gives me the biggest crosshair ever!!!
 
Currently: 12in 1280x800 Dell 700m -- 125px/inch
Presently at home: 20in 1680x1050 Samsung 205BW -- 99px/inch
On Order: 25.5in 1920x1200 Acer -- 89px/inch
 
I have HP 2035 20" 1600x1200 LCD.

It is suggested to use native resolution for LCDs. But, text is too small at 1600x1200 resolution.
I increased the DPI to 120 and turned on the ClearType. But, text is still fuzzy.

I used multiple resolutions and I like 1024x768 the best.

However, my CRT Sony G520 is also 1024x768 but text is much sharper.

My eyes get watery after a while using LCD and people are saying LCDs are better than CRTs for text.
I don't know what's wrong.

What do you suggest?

Thanks.

I recommend a 26". 1920x1200, but at a larger physical size and higher pixel pitch. I had the same problem as you with 21" and 24" LCDs; using a res other than native makes everything blurry, and raising the dpi screws up icons, menus, layout, etc. At 26", you can use native and leave dpi at default and not have your eyeballs melt.
 
Back
Top