Votes: 50 26.5%
  • Will drop resolution to actively use RT

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Will not drop resolution to actively use RT

Votes: 36 19.0%

• Total voters

alxlwson

You Know Where I Live
So, with the RTX getting ready to drop shortly, and the big seller on it is ray tracing, what do you game at?

Will you drop resolution to enable RT on supported titles, or simply not bother due to the steep requirements?

Well, considering that Windows current version does not support Ray Tracing on RTX currently, this will likely be a question that will not be answered for a while. It is really going to come down to people actually seeing how this impact their gaming in a real-world at-home scenario.

No 16:10 resolutions? 4k for me, but currently using a 30" 2560x1600 until it comes back from rma.

Indeed. Pretty easy to grab the insider builds, however.

I think the interesting bit on the whole thing was the BFV demo shown, having to back down to 1080p to get 60fps. Frostbite is a fairly efficient engine, so I have a feeling that on other titles, the hit is going to be even worse.

You should watch some videos.
Like one where the devs tell they have had RTX hardware for 3 days, having buildt their RT tech on Titan V's (missing the RT-cores)...hell the devs were surprised that their early version of the code could even run in 4K...but why let facts get in the way now, eh?

1440p GSync 27 inch with EVGA 1080 FE

RTX is not important to me. Waiting on performance numbers for current games.

You should watch some videos.
Like one where the devs tell they have had RTX hardware for 3 days, having buildt their RT tech on Titan V's (missing the RT-cores)...hell the devs were surprised that their early version of the code could even run in 4K...but why let facts get in the way now, eh?

Get off your high horse. Wasn't aware of these videos you speak of.

Acer Predator X34 - 3440x1440 @ 100Hz (G-Sync)
LG OLED55C6P - 3820x2160 @ 60Hz

Indeed. Pretty easy to grab the insider builds, however.

I think the interesting bit on the whole thing was the BFV demo shown, having to back down to 1080p to get 60fps. Frostbite is a fairly efficient engine, so I have a feeling that on other titles, the hit is going to be even worse.

DF interviewed DICE. Mentioned 1440p 40-50fps and they thought they could easily get an extra 30%. Also talked about rendering RT at a seperate res from the rest of the screen. Like 4k everything but 1080p RT, ect.

1440p! Nice to see lots more jumping onto 1440p. I still think it's the best res. Not impossible to drive, but looks great, good amount of pixels/density etc at 27" (personally I think above 30" should be higher res), and comes in high refresh rate variants.. Wish I had the spare cash for a new screen! 60hz is bland.. Might get me back into PC gaming if I did! :p

1440p! Nice to see lots more jumping onto 1440p. I still think it's the best res. Not impossible to drive, but looks great, good amount of pixels/density etc at 27" (personally I think above 30" should be higher res), and comes in high refresh rate variants.. Wish I had the spare cash for a new screen! 60hz is bland.. Might get me back into PC gaming if I did! :p

Check out the 21:9 1440 Predator X35 200Hz... my dream monitor. I am not sold on 4k either for the same reasons. 2080ti and that monitor, match made in heaven.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-series/predatorx35

We should stop using the word "drop," as in this product gonna drop on Tuesday...

It just sounds ghettotastic, know what I sayin'?

We, as nerds, are better than that.

Know what I sayin'?

Still not convinced ultrawide is the way to go.. My lowly 1070 would also struggle at that res/rate. Doesn't mention panel type? I'm an IPS snob lol (VA I'd be okay with, not TN)

After buying my 38" curved ultrawide ips, I say it is absolutely the way to.

Still not convinced ultrawide is the way to go.. My lowly 1070 would also struggle at that res/rate. Doesn't mention panel type? I'm an IPS snob lol (VA I'd be okay with, not TN)

Depends what you play. My 1080 pushes everything well. Usually high/ultra depending on the game.

It’s 5MP vs 4k’s 8MP. So 40 fps on 4k would be ~64 on a 3440x1440 21:9. 2560x1440 is 3.7MP. So it’s only ~33% more (slower) than a 16:9 1440p.

I always wanted surround but hate bezels. This is basically that. It fills my vision.

2160p
Mostly because I'm playing much older games that can handle it without slogging down the system.

720p on my 50" TV. Lol. I'm clinging onto my plasma and a side effect is I don't have to upgrade anything else either yet.

I'll join on the ray tracing when it's not absurdly expensive to enjoy. What little time I have to play games, I only care if it's fun and runs smooth.

Usually 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz (55" TV) but I can also run 1440p @ 120Hz w/ FreeSync, so that is a decent option.

On my other rig, I have triple 1440p (7680 x 1440 @ 144Hz) but it's hard to run games at that res, hoping 20-series changes that.

Multiple resolutions but mainly 4K and 3440 x 1440. There is also VR, Vive but may be getting a Primax 8kx or Vive Pro.

I still have a 1080p 60hz monitor but I hope to change that by the end of the year.

Get off your high horse. Wasn't aware of these videos you speak of.

So I am on a "high horse" (and have a problem) for correcting your statements, but you speaking against facts is just dandy...gotcha.
Ignorance is bliss I guess.

2560x1440, 27”, 144Hz

Do not really care about RTX at this point but interested in the gains in FPS at 1440p.

I would have said 4k but my 4k TV/monitor is dead, so I'm back to 1200p for now. Where's the selection for that? :p

So I am on a "high horse" (and have a problem) for correcting your statements, but you speaking against facts is just dandy...gotcha.
Ignorance is bliss I guess.

See, thats the thing- I was ignorant of the video you mentioned.

There is a correct way and then a douche way of attempting to educate someone. You chose the douche way, and assumed I was ignoring information, rather than simply being ignorant.

So yeah, get off your high horse.

1080p@240Hz. I want to stay 1080p for as long as possible. It's a good resolution and 4K just isn't affordable yet. Maybe in 2020 or later?

1080 @ 27".

Looks great to me and I can get well over 100+ frames in pretty much all games without the need for a $1000 GPU.

I think 1440 would be the sweet spot for 27" but 4K is pointless at anything smaller than a 55" TV, at least to my 46 year old eyes.

1440p 16:9 27" 120hz. I like 27", since my monitor is just slightly more than an arm's length away. For a bigger monitor I'd probably want it a bit further away and probably go to 4k, although the further the monitor is from the eye, the lower the resolution that's useful. For me, 1440p is the sweet spot.

Right now, I game at 1080p 16:9 @ 144Hz on a 24" screen.

Someday, I hope to upgrade to a 1440p 16:9 @ 144-240Hz 27" monitor. But that'll be after my next GPU upgrade, whenever that will occur.

Back