What RAID for ghost imaging

jonw757

Gawd
The main file server for my group is constantly having storage issues and we are looking into making our own secluded network for imaging so no one has access and also to reduce network traffic. The server has not been decided upon yet but I was wondering what RAID everyone would recommend for frequent ghost imaging. It will probably be 250GB-500GB SCSI drives (i hope) It also needs to be redundant. Thanks! :)

Presuming that the images are not updated often, RAID-5 is the way to go. It gives you the highest possibe capacity while remaining fault tolerant. However, most RAID cards in your budget will be weak on write performance. If all your doing is pushing images out, the sequential read performance boost from the striping will be a huge boost, and multi user loads should not be much of a factor.

Unless you are pushing images out to 10+ users simultaneously, SCSI drives are unnecessary and ridiculously overpriced for your application. Additionally, the largest SCSI drives on the market are 300GB. Stick with Enterprise grade ATA drives, such as Maxtor MaxLineIII and Seagate Barracuda 7200.8. They will deliver the capacity, speed, and reliability you need within your budget.

Thanks a bunch! Its looking more and more like im going to get the go ahead to build the server myself. Any specific RAID cards in the $300-400 range?

Back