What Raid Card?

HyperDad

n00b
Joined
Sep 28, 2005
Messages
40
Hi

First time posting. :)

I plan on building a file server soon. I would like to use an Abit IC7 Mother board with a intel 2.4 gig processor I have.

I would like to equip it with a raid 5 array(first attempt at raid 5).

My problem is I have no idea what Raid 5 card would work well with this mother board. :(
One that features XOR would be nice.

I plan on using 4 DiamondMax 10 200GB drives.

I have yet to decide what to user for backing this server up. So i could use some suggestion on this as well.

Thanks in advance

HyperDad
 
The best RAID cards are 3ware cards. Others makes...like promise...adaptec...etc...3ware is tops for quality and reliability. Although they are slightly more expensive. Its worth it when you are using a file server like I do...to save irreplaceable information.
 
Most cards out there are pretty nice these day. I have personal experience with LSI, Adaptec, and 3Ware. Of the three, none really stood out. They all worked like they were supposed to, and that's all I asked of them. A quick search on newegg found this card, which looks like it should serve you pretty well.
 
If you want top-of-the-line, look at the Areca card's.

3ware and LSI Logic make good RAID ones, and would have no problem using either of them.
 
Back
Top