What qualifies as a good game?

ZLoth

Gawd
Yes, this is an offshoot from the existing thread We're Paying For Broken Games, And It's Unacceptable. So, the question that I pose to you is "What qualifies as a good game?" What is the price points and features that cause you to plunk down the money for a game? How long do you wait? Why do games like Team Fortress 2, World of Warcraft, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim remain popular years after their original release, while other releases such as Star Wars: The Old Republic and Call of Duty: Ghosts is yesterday's news?

The key indicator for long-term popularity and growth seems to be either length or replayability. World of Warcraft and TF2 have those "carrot on a stick" sort of deals going. In WoW, you have the gear grind. In TF2, everyone wants hats or whatever (and it's free, so there's no cost of entry).

Skyrim offers long-term replayability not just in terms of open-world gameplay, but also mod support, which further enhances that replayability factor.

For me, I look for solid development/design cues that either innovate or extensively iterate on a design/genre that I enjoy.

As for what people find enjoyable, well, you're going to get a very wide range of responses there.

Anything that the mainstream media or your friends say is good, since nobody is capable of individual any more.

For me it's community. The best times I ever had in a game was in a text based RPG (Darkness Falls) because of how awesome the community was.

I declare that a game that gets me fired from my job due to absenteeism is a good game.

One that makes you smile and despite it's faults isn't perfect but the faults make up for the game.
The world doesn't need a super serious First Person Shooter with Military Themes =) Battlefield 3 4 is fun though there are some others I question why they were made in the first place.

rape, murder, gore, tentacles, incest, harem, v...o-oops! game you say eh? sorry!

Has to be a AAA title full of bugs on release and developers continuously punishing players for playing their game.

A good game is a game that YOU play and YOU determine if its good. People complain about Watch Dogs, I personally really liked the game. I also had some what realistic expectations, I wasn't expecting it to be revolutionary or on the level of GTA 5.

For me what I've been doing the past few years, is I do just enough research on a game to determine if its a game I'm going to get. If I decide I'm going to get it I pretty much don't read or watch shit it about it. I essentially want to be as "blind" as possible when I get the game so everything is pretty much a surprise. I've found the less I know about the game, the better its been for me.

In the past i used to consume anything and everything about a game that when it came out. I had over-hyped the game for myself and I was usually let down.

I think it's as simple as a game you keep going back to. This means graphics or bugs or whatever else are irrelevant. If it's good enough to keep playing then it's a good game.

"What qualifies as a good game?"
- A game that is fun, that I enjoy and I look forward to playing.

What is the price points and features that cause you to plunk down the money for a game?
- Any cost, if it's fun enough. Though a lower price point is more incentive, I'll try something without a demo for 15$. for 30$ or more, I'd like to watch gameplay or something to see if I will like it.
In the realm of features, I love open world games like minecraft, mortal online, rust, life is fuedal, mount and blade warband, etc...
Games that have a large world and give you simple tools to do advanced things are what tickles my fancy. Games that make you feel like you are gaining strength are great too, to do something that used to be hard with, now, relative ease. Skyrim almost gets this right, until you become too powerful, too quickly and no real end game to speak of.

How long do you wait?
- I am not sure I understand the meaning of this question, it is rather vague. How long to I wait to buy it, for it to come out, for it to be bug free, for a good deal, for a scimitar weilding buffalo to show up and gift it to me...? :p

For me it depends on the genre. RPGs I need good character development first and foremost. Good music is also a plus there. Action games I like variation throughout the game, none of that repeating button-masher type gameplay. Racing games need to have great framerate and controls.

Graphics overall are important, but I'm perfectly happy playing something like VVVVVV because they did that art style well IMO. In 3D games the pop-in is a major buzz kill and with 3rd person cameras they must be manageable or else I lose it quick.

Lastly, the end-game must present some sort of reward, even if it's just a great last level that really challenges me in a fun and new/interesting way. I like the trip through memory lane type ending as well as the plot twist ending shot. Cliff hangers are kinda annoying though. Please resolve the ending.

There are a few things that I would use as criteria.

Is the game well coded for the most part. Fairly bug-free, decent performance, etc. Is the game fun for YOU?

That's about it really. It doesn't have to be original or groundbreaking necessarily, though those can be pluses. If it's polished, does what it sets out to do, and it's fun for someone, then it's good. Not everyone has to like it either. Anyone with some degree of mental capacity should be able to recognize something good, even if it's not really their thing.

I seem to be discussing that last point a lot lately, especially in terms of Nintendo games. Nobody is required to be into them, or even enjoy the genre, but it's silly when people ignore that they are polished games that work out of the box, and are fun for those who like them. I haven't really seen them make a really bad game (that I can remember anyway.)

I suppose there are edge cases like a game that's really fun, but has some bad bugs. Or a gorgeous atmospheric game that really pulls you in, but then has some bonehead design choices. Or a game that performs horribly, but is otherwise excellent.

I think it's as simple as a game you keep going back to. This means graphics or bugs or whatever else are irrelevant. If it's good enough to keep playing then it's a good game.

Exactly. Screw the haters. Play what you enjoy.

It's kind of about how torturous the game is to play. Risen has just as many bugs as the latest assassins creed, but is still much beloved because under the flaws it's a really fun game. I think the way mainstream games til to fall on their own swords is with purchasable content/DLC. Buying a broken game is one thing but then being spammed with ads for content for it can drive even the most patient gamer into a rage.

Since building hype is a marketing plot to get us all excited.
I'd say delivering the hype as expected is key.

I have no issue with AAA game titles, none at all.

Quite frankly, I play more big titles than smaller ones. Why? Hence my first sentence.
Playing with friends in enjoyment is very very helpful in buying a game and considering it a " good game". But this isn't the major reason of why I play all games of course.

RPGS- Skyrim, Dragon Age Inquisition, Diablo 3 etc.....

Games like these are fantastic to explore and create your own story and create your own in game experiences.

I'd rather have customizations being more in depth than a whole world to explore. Yet with Dragon Age Inquisition , I'm able to have both and additionally a good story plot. With Diablo 3, I'm able to have the grind that I look for in a game that rewards me with nearly unlimited loot, whether it's good items or not.

Surprises - Having a game continue to surprise me throughout gameplay is another key to being a " good game".

In Diablo 3 , first time around , you know what is to come of the game, you know what to expect. BUT, you never expect the next legendary to drop or the insanely hard fights on higher difficulty levels. Some may say it's too repetitive, others think it is awesome. I for one think the gameplay system rocks.

Sound quality is another key, but I haven't had an issue with this for some time.

Challenges - Hard bosses or puzzling levels are another quality to have.
Dark Souls was a true example of having challenging gameplay and or puzzling levels. Barely a tutorial and you have one of the most non forgiving gameplays around. Challenges, for us gamers are another trait to add to being a quality game.

High Replay Value- most games if not all the ones I choose to play, have a decent replay value. But hardly are there ones that I don't feel I'm playing the same steps over and over again. Hence why customization is key to me for being a "good game".

Fun factor of course is the biggest of it all, where all I've mentioned adds or removes the fun factor of the game.

I like how games are pressing onward to reaching new feats, No Mans Sky, Flower, Wild etc... But again, anything can look good in a trailer.

Conclusion, if the game is fun to play for the time of me playing it, I'll consider it a good game.

Last edited:
A good game is a game that YOU play and YOU determine if its good. People complain about Watch Dogs, I personally really liked the game. I also had some what realistic expectations, I wasn't expecting it to be revolutionary or on the level of GTA 5.

For me what I've been doing the past few years, is I do just enough research on a game to determine if its a game I'm going to get. If I decide I'm going to get it I pretty much don't read or watch shit it about it. I essentially want to be as "blind" as possible when I get the game so everything is pretty much a surprise. I've found the less I know about the game, the better its been for me.

In the past i used to consume anything and everything about a game that when it came out. I had over-hyped the game for myself and I was usually let down.

Agree with both. Video games are like music: everyone likes everything, and no one will agree with everyone.

I'll get crap for it, but I honestly couldn't care less about most "indie" games. AAA hype all the way, baby!

Gameplay makes a game. Not graphics, not "innovations" like regenerating health or cover systems or "press X when prompted". Gameplay. No DLC, no offensive monetization of things that used to be free. No constant meddling in game balance a la MMORPGs. Just simple gameplay. And maybe a cool story :)

Gameplay makes a game. Not graphics, not "innovations" like regenerating health or cover systems or "press X when prompted". Gameplay. No DLC, no offensive monetization of things that used to be free. No constant meddling in game balance a la MMORPGs. Just simple gameplay. And maybe a cool story :)

As I can relate to you wanting more content with the original purchase of the game, I can see of course that the DLC market is huge right now.

The biggest example I can think of this year is Destiny. Clearly they could of kept the DLC in the original game yet they chose the money hungry methods in stead. Slashing a lot of the items, slashing decent amount of levels and content.

This is a big turn off for me, I played the crap out of Destiny, but I have not picked up the DLC since. As we all know, they've cut the game to like 90 percent and just added the 10 percent for $20. This is a no no.

However, time is money my friend. It costs to deliver. Considering they have kept game prices to $60 for the last several years is a good thing. But they cannot keep this trend of cutting short the fans till they pay even more.
I can see AAA titles in the future be reduced to $40 or so and only deliver half the game. lol

Last edited:
A great game for me is one I pick up hoping it is decent, but the more I play it the better it gets. It unfolds and blossoms into something more than I was expecting and will keep me entertained through multiple play throughs. It is not always a big name game, but many of them are. I always feel grateful when I come across one of these games, and really all my gaming is spent searching for them.

Personal Opinion. A game I may like, you might hate. Whichever game can get me to play it for hours and want more is what I would call a good game.

Agree with both. Video games are like music: everyone likes everything, and no one will agree with everyone.

I'll get crap for it, but I honestly couldn't care less about most "indie" games. AAA hype all the way, baby!

Honestly I don't see the craze about indies so far. The few that I've played so far are crap.

Honestly I don't see the craze about indies so far. The few that I've played so far are crap.

Indies are hipster, and most are generally crap. People who believe they have good taste in games think they're the holy grail.

Just browsing through my Steam games...
Bastion
Hotline Miami
And Yet It Moves
Trine
Super Meat Boy
FTL
Don't Starve
Torchlight
Binding of Isaac
VVVVVV
Dungeons of Dredmor
World of Goo
Sang-Froid
Sniper Elite

Not one of those at least gives you a little bit of a chub? I mean, c'mon, anyone who doesn't at least appreciate Bastion has no soul. And anyone who doesn't admit to having a ball playing Hotline: Miami is a lying sack of scheisse.

^^^^ Excellent list!

Add Shovel Knight, FEZ and Monaco, Nidhogg, Kings of Kung Fu to that list. :cool:

Excellent games.

I love AAA games too, but to say there are no good indies is idiotic! You don't have to enjoy them all, or some of the genres may not suit you, but to say none of them are good, and that they only appeal to hipsters... well... let's just say, only a hipster would say something like that. :p

What about the new Wasteland, the new Shadowrun games? Do those suck too? Hard Reset was pretty good too. Seems a little short-sighted to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just browsing through my Steam games...
Bastion
Hotline Miami
And Yet It Moves
Trine
Super Meat Boy
FTL
Don't Starve
Torchlight
Binding of Isaac
VVVVVV
Dungeons of Dredmor
World of Goo
Sang-Froid
Sniper Elite

Not one of those at least gives you a little bit of a chub? I mean, c'mon, anyone who doesn't at least appreciate Bastion has no soul. And anyone who doesn't admit to having a ball playing Hotline: Miami is a lying sack of scheisse.

I thought bastion was ok. I thought production quality was excellent, but it didn't hold my interest to keep playing. Maybe one day I'll go back and play it again.

Back