What PSU?

XNeKoSX

Weaksauce
New system being built.
What PSU will power my hardware? I know a 1000w will, but will a 850w ( including the future GFX card )?

E6600 ( Ultra X w/Delta Fan)
X-Fi Sound
Gigabyte P965-DQ6 v3.3
Crucial 2xgig DDR2-800 Ballistix ( possibly 4gig)
X2900XT ( Future: Crossfired )
2 HDD ( 1 Sata, 1 Pata )
1 DVD Burner
Razer Tarantula
Razer Deathadder

1000W PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool

Without doubt, end of story.

- JT

If it's an Enermax Galaxy, sure.. that'd be fine. It's not in the same league as the PCP&C line but it'll get the job done. It has less of a warranty however, 3 years compared to 5 on the PCP&C.

You gotta pay to play my friend, especially with these ultra-high end SLI/Crossfire configurations. They are POWER hungry.

- JT

I don't know what the power requires are for crossfire 2900's, but if you are only running something like dual 8800GTX's or 1900/1950's you could go with an 850W Silverstone Zeus. You will most likely have to upgrade though when the time comes for dual 2900's.

- JT

Take a look at this list and try to stay in Tier 1 or high output power Tier2 if possible. I don't there there is anything in Tier 3 that would work for you.

dammnnn 1000W???

all my systems in my sigs run on 480w max power supplies. I dont play games though since its not my purpose. do gaming video cards require that much power from a psu?

Thanks JT, that list is very handy! BTW JTm what case do you recommend? I posted in Cases Forum but barely got any response. I have P180 but don't think a 1000w will fit at the botton unless I actually remove the fan and cut the metal plate out.

BTW JTm what case do you recommend? I posted in Cases Forum but barely got any response. I have P180 but don't think a 1000w will fit at the botton unless I actually remove the fan and cut the metal plate out
That I can't help you with. I have not been fortunate enough to play with any of this super high end gear yet. :mad:

- JT

1000W PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool

Without doubt, end of story.

- JT

Not only is it insanely expensive, insanely loud, it isn't the most capable 1000w+ power supply on the market.

Not to mention that it's about 2038754082738520384 times more than you need. Try the Ultra X3 1kw, Silverstone Olympia 1kw, Enermax infiniti 720 (if you plan on going crossfire R600XTX), or something smaller like a Corsair HX 520, Silverstone Olympia 650, or even an Enhance ENP-5150GH If you don't plan on crossfire.

Thank you for the responses, I do believe I won't be able to look under 750w because the 2900xt is a power hog.

Now the real question... Why in the world would you run 2900XT's in crossfire when you can run 8800GTS' in SLI and have better performance and less power consumption to boot?

Well since, my DQ6 is crossfire enabled, and SLI can not be run on this board

Back