• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What PSU Wattage Needed?

celwin

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Oct 18, 2006
Messages
1,593
For dual 7970 GHZ version cards. What PSU is needed for this? I'm currently running a single 7970 with a Corsair TX650
 
That TX650 should be enough.

1366363496A5u1myuPXf_8_1.gif


As you can see, the most power it took was 667W and this figure it at the wall. With a ~90% efficient PSU that number is 600W so you'll have ~50W left on the table.

While 650W should be enough, if you wanted a little piece of mind then a quality 750W PSU will be plenty.
 
Agreed it would be fine. I'd personally want a little bigger one like a 750 just for more peace of mind but that's more a personal preference.
 
I'm in a similar position with my Seasonic G650 and Radeon 7950, which I would like to pair with a R9 280X. While one of the purposes would be LTC mining (I will be running both GPUs undervolted for max efficiency, so less power needed), I would also like to ask about the overclockability of the cards with such a PSU. Are there any risks to the cards if going overboard, maybe better to just forget about it until grabbing a beefier PSU?
 
It's best to start your own thread with questions, but I can answer them here.

A 7950 has a power consumption of 311W at the wall.
An R9 280X OC Edition has a power consumption of 392W at the wall.

Now keep in minds these are two separate systems. So double the CPU's., RAM and other things. If you add them all up and then account for a 90% efficient PSU it adds up to 633W.

If you are only mining on the GPUs, you should be fine.
 
Back
Top