• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

what PSU rail powers this?

xplastic

n00b
Joined
Apr 17, 2005
Messages
39
Hi,

I have a ocz modstream that blew after a week. At first it refused to power up(it flicked on and off after hitting the power button). I turned the switch off on the back of the psu, then on again. I pressed power and pOp!...smoke...it's dead. I detached everything but the boot HD/vid card/SBaudigy and used an antec 350w psu to try to power the mobo up again and it does power up(after 2 tries and some alarm going off), but the PWR LED is flickering and my soundcard is dead. I'm in the middle of an RMA with OCZ but I can't really survey the damage because I dont feel comfortable with running a 350w PSU and all my gear at once. OCZ offered to replace any broken hardware if they get the broken modstream back to them and see whats wrong with it.

My question is: what rails on the PSU control what slots and hardware on the mobo. I''ll be trying to look for damage to understand if 1 peticular rail blew after I get a replacement PSU and if some hardware has been affected I need to know so I can point these things out to OCZ.

MSI Neo2 plat
AMD64 3200+
1GB(2x512)Gskill pc4400
OCZ Modstream 520 PSU
80 gig WD ATA
200 gig Seagate SATA
ATI AIW 9800 PRO
SB Audigy

thanx,
X
 
+3.3V +5V +12V are all supplied via the PCI slots
even the negative rails (-5 -12) thought they are unlikely to be actually employed unless you have some antique PCI cards (R232 serial port for instance)

you unplugged the power supply from the mobo or the wall?
(your aware there is power to the mobo via the +5VSB even with to computer off?)
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=761614
 
"you unplugged the power supply from the mobo or the wall?"

Yes I am aware of this. I have built many a computer. When the PSU quit, Everything had been built and running already. Out of the blue the PSU just acted up. I don't know why but other ppl have had this happen cause I saw it on the OCZ PSU warranty forum. Thanks for the info about the rails. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Thanx,
X
 
Back
Top