• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What PSU on a budget?

HvyMtl

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 3, 2003
Messages
1,730
I need an inexpensive (under say $50) power supply that can push an A64 system (prolly 939, 3500+) with the 6800 GT vid card, one dvd +/- r, +/-rw, perhaps a second cdrom drive, an audigy 2 zs, two 7200rpm sata drive (must have sata cabling) 6 x 80mm cooling fans, and perhaps a TV tuner. I believe it will need to be over 400 watts - closer to 500 (want stability and room to addon, perhaps overclock in the future.)
Suggestions? Please give a link if you can. Thanks in advance...
 
You're gonna have a tough time getting a quality 400w under $50 to power a modern gaming rig. You can forget 99.999% of them for a 500w unit in that range.

The highest quality 'inexpensive' psu near that price would either be a Fortron 400w or its clone the Sparkle 400w

I'd personally go with the Fortron/Sparkle option
 
I can't remember the model number but they sell them at that retailler who's selling 6800GTs for one hundered dollars...

Anyway for all you're asking I'd save up another $25-$50 ;) or save some time and buy a Deer. :p
 
I recently bought a HEC supply; it was decently cheap compared to the Enermax's at the store where I bought it. I pulled the lid off it to see what's inside, and it's very well built...

Also, Antec Smartpower supplies are very well built.

If you're on a budget, avoid PPAC and other "ultra-super-fucking-good" brands, but bend your budget enough so that you *DON'T* get a generic supply. I've been searching for a good generic brand and I've yet to find one...
 
Don't be "cheap" with the most important piece of your system. Save a little bit more (25-30$) and get a good branded one ;)
 
ok, so give me some examples of great yet not too freaking expensive power supplies...
link em if you know em.
 
HvyMtl said:
ok, so give me some examples of great yet not too freaking expensive power supplies...
link em if you know em.
Fortron/Sparkle "FSP" series all the way, top quality with great prices to boot.
 
so_cal_forever said:
Super Flowers Are always good, and Directron sells them nice and cheap. These are made in the same factory as Enermax's and Forton's.
Not the fortrons though, they are a seperate company with manufacturing in Mainland China and Taiwan (Sparkle).

The newer Superflowers may not be oem'd by the same factory as enermax any longer as the twisted maze of chinese mfr's and their contracts can supposedly change with every new model that rolls out. The SF still appears to be a decent psu though (imho) but they aren't terribly popular in the USA for whatever odd reason.

Edit: So_Cal, i notice you have a starlogic psu, who makes them because they sound terribly familiar? Tagan perhaps?
I googled "starlogic 400w" and your sig was the second hit on google...lol, try it and you'll see
 
I've heard good things about RaidMax. I actually have one of their supplies running my main system. I also think that LogiSys makes good stuff. I've never used one of their PSUs but I know their other stuff is of quality. They are the manufacturers of PowerLab and other supplies which I cannot see in the pictures on their website.
 
Ach no! Raidmax supplies are sub-par at best. Don't waste your money and risk your equipment to any -max except Enermax. All of em sucks, period. Look for a good Fortron unit, you won't be disappointed about either the price or the quality
 
ok, after taking apart an old (now dead) compusa psu - its a powmax rebadge... that's off the list. (both) So, fortran, super flower, enermax, or antec - so far. What store (other than ebay -ick) has the best prices?
 
I watch Newegg refurbs for good deals, but in general they have alright normal prices on PSUs. You could check pricewatch, but just make sure you check the reseller ratings before you buy from any j.random store on pricewatch.
 
Vertigo Acid said:
You could check pricewatch, but just make sure you check the reseller ratings before you buy from any j.random store on pricewatch.
Just make sure you use ResellerRatings or PriceGrabber for the merchant ratings and not Pricewatch's own. They have some of the dumbest user-submitted reviews:
"Site looks great, gonna order soon. POSITIVE"
"Cheap prices! POSITIVE"
"Nice selection. POSITIVE"

Then you look at the ResellerRating reviews and find out that these same merchants are crooks.
 
Newegg refurbs pull thru again!
Just scored an Enermax Noisetaker 470w, the ATX 2.0 version for $70 :D :D :D
 
refurbs? erm, I think I want 1st quality rather than a refurb... reliability is an issue.
 
All of the refurbs I have dealt with have been at least as good of quality as new, because they get sent back to the manuf. for testing and re-certification. Newegg doesn't deal with any "broken" hardware, they just send it straight back. Half the time it's because some dumbass bought the wrong type, esp. with ECC RAM. YMMV, but i've had great results
 
Back
Top