What PSU can last 24 hours?

Any quality PSU can. Depends on what you're powering.

I fold 24/7, 7 days a week and all month long with a 4770K @ 4.5Ghz and a GTX 680 @ 1306Mhz/7300Mhz.

This is with a Seasonic X-750.

All psu's are technically 100% duty cycle. And I doubt he is referring to UPS since itnis for a htpc.

Most of my PSUs have been running 24/7 for many years. I never heard of a non 24/7 PSU. Some are crap quality and may be more likely to fail prematurely (whether or not they are on) but that goes with anything.

I would say go with a PC Power and Cooling or Seasonic Power Supply(TX corsiars) are the post reputable and quality in the industry

Something containing only Japanese brand capacitors. Reviews that show the insides of PSUs usually give this information. I don't think you'll find such PSUs for less than $70 now.

Jeez, I think he was jesting :rolleyes:

All joking aside though, getting a gold or platinum rated PSU might be a good choice for 24/7 ops, since theoretically the greater efficiency will result in lower electricity usage, and ultimately the operating costs. The higher initial cost of such PSU could then be made up for and surpassed over the lifetime of the computer.

All joking aside though, getting a gold or platinum rated PSU might be a good choice for 24/7 ops, since theoretically the greater efficiency will result in lower electricity usage, and ultimately the operating costs. The higher initial cost of such PSU could then be made up for and surpassed over the lifetime of the computer.

You would benefit just as much (and in many cases more) from matching expected load to PSU's 50% capacity rating with a normal 80+/80+ bronze PSU and save initial cost to boot.

It is doubtful to get a platinum rated PSU at a low enough wattage to match the load of an HTPC. Lowest I've seen is 450W, and an HTPC is definitely well below 225W average.

I have a silverstone that has lasted me a few years. It doesn't run 24/7 all year, but it can and will go weeks straight without issue.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back