What projector?

Gawd
Basement is almost finished, and now I need to source a projector.

The projector will be about 13' away from a 106" mustang 1.0 screen. Basement is going to be painted darkish colors, with a darkish carpet (ceiling will be dark as well) No windows, so pretty much no ambient light.

Based on reviews the HD33 does well in a living room, but in a theater room you will notice the greys (which I really don't want, I want dark blacks)

Will mainly be watching movies, I will also have a computer hooked up so I want something thats good for a computer. A little gaming, input lag can't be huge..

So, my dillema is

*HD33 (cheap, can snag it for $1400 CAD new with 2 pairs of glasses) Not sure how well it will do in my dark basement.

*Epson 3010 (Bit more expensive then the HD33)

*Acer H9500DB (Roughly the same as the 3010? With lens shift, not sure if that's a sell for me, ceiling mounting and should be able to get any of em mounted correctly without need of lens shift)

Now, to make my decision even harder. Those 3 all go for around the same price, give or take a couple hundred bucks depending on sales etc. (Average around $1500 CAD or so.)

Is it worth it for me to spend the extra grand or so, and consider the Panny 7000, Benq W7000, and the Epson 5010?

I'd rather not spend the extra money, but if they are that much better I'd consider it. I just don't want to hit the wall of diminished returns where the extra grand would get me an image that's 5% better.

Thanks!

Mark

I did some more looking, the 9500 is really hard to find in Canada. Not sure if I'd be able to find it at a retailer I'd want to buy from.

Looking more like it's going to be the HD33, 3010 or the 5010.

Pretty much, the more money you spend, the darker the grey will become. Those cheap optoma's have had pretty awful blacks in the past.. IMO.

Back