What price does AMD need to lower to now that the 670 is out?

I don't argue what you said, I never have. Just saying that the magical 1200+ are not guaranteed, nothing more, nothing less.
We'll see what AMD will do. It certainly will be interesting.

And still the Nvidia fanbois can't stop worshipping the GTX 680 / 670 cards which cuts serious corners (compute ) to achieve their efficiency.

Thanks goodness, raghu78 is banned. His comments are always twisted to favor AMD in any situation. I have no idea how he can keep posting 24/7 and posted more threads in 35 days than others do in years. I stopped looking at his postings after he almost single-handedly flooded the entire video cards forum. His comments are usually quite extreme just like the above quoted comment. Most consumers use gfx card for gaming, not compute. Making the correct decisions on product feature set is key to a product's success. It is unreasonable to ask most consumers to pay for the add-on cost of compute functionality which very few would ever use.

Thanks goodness, raghu78 is banned. His comments are always twisted to favor AMD in any situation. I have no idea how he can keep posting 24/7 and posted more threads in 35 days than others do in years. I stopped looking at his postings after he almost single-handedly flooded the entire video cards forum. His comments are usually quite extreme just like the above quoted comment. Most consumers use gfx card for gaming, not compute. Making the correct decisions on product feature set is key to a product's success. It is unreasonable to ask most consumers to pay for the add-on cost of compute functionality which very few would ever use.

lol, and funnily enough this is something that Nvidia has been pushing for the last few years. Now they removed the compute abilities, so we really are paying more for less.

My take is, if you havent invested in the current generation at the current prices you're best off waiting for the next GPU refresh.

This is just a repeat of the Nvidia 500 / AMD 6000 series.

680 - $500
7970 - $350
670 - $350
7950 - $275
660 - $225

amd is going to releasing 7970 that are higher binned chips that can overclock alot farther than what you get now
doubt you will see much a price drop maybe 25-50 dollars

If they release a "Ghz" edition, i still think it should be priced at $400 so people have little reason to purchase a 670.

It's crazy to say the 7970 blows away the 670, or vice versa. They are both very comparable in performance and cost. I personally ordered a 670 due to it's power consumption advantage, where I would really be pushing it if I decided to try crossfire on my PSU with the 7970. On the other hand, the GPU compute from the 7970 would have been nice, if devs really do start to implement more of that in their games. A 7970 @$450 with 3 games really is still great value.

Also, from what I've been reading, a lot of people have not been satisfied with 7970's in crossfire thus far. I don't think AMD can get away with charging a price premium, and should (if they can be profitable) price their cards to make them a better deal than the competition, not just similarly priced for performance. At any rate I really hope AMD is successful as a company, and have always been very satisfied with their products, same goes for Nvidia.

Not to be rude or anything but you make similar comments except in the opposite direction. Just saying!

Here's to neutrality and non extremist comments...and no trolling / gloating to the "other" side of whatever you like...that shit gets old. From fans of either side.

Amd , forever the underdog.
There's no winning unless they have a percieved better perf/cost ratio in the high end compared to Nvidia.

As amd and intel are destroying the discrete video card low end with integrated gpus , it'll be quite interesting to see how Nvidia will adapt it's business model.

Amd needs to be 50$ cheaper and develop their own dynamic frequency booster technology (Dfbt). Ghz edition isn't the answer since reviewers compare out of the box performance.

Amd , forever the underdog.
There's no winning unless they have a percieved better perf/cost ratio in the high end compared to Nvidia.

As amd and intel are destroying the discrete video card low end with integrated gpus , it'll be quite interesting to see how Nvidia will adapt it's business model.

Amd needs to be 50$ cheaper and develop their own dynamic frequency booster technology (Dfbt). Ghz edition isn't the answer since reviewers compare out of the box performance.

I've felt the same way about AMD for a while now too. Back in the day ATi was pretty competitive with nVidia with the 9700/9800 and the X1900 series, but AMD has always been playing catch-up in terms of pure performance. AMD would usually make up for it by having better power consumption and price/performance, but in this case nVidia is winning the price/perf. and the efficiency war. Either way it's good to be a consumer right now. :cool:

I don't understand why dynamic clocks are such a big deal. I mean why can't you just overclock the GPU to a similar frequency and sell it like that. 1050 MHz (like the new and rumored 7970 GHz Edition) is still 13.5% higher than the original clock, and the 7970 should be butting heads with the 680 at that point. I just hope they give it a memory overclock too, because the memory overclocks fairly well too

I don't understand why dynamic clocks are such a big deal. I mean why can't you just overclock the GPU to a similar frequency and sell it like that. 1050 MHz (like the new and rumored 7970 GHz Edition) is still 13.5% higher than the original clock, and the 7970 should be butting heads with the 680 at that point. I just hope they give it a memory overclock too, because the memory overclocks fairly well too
All else being equal, it comes down to power consumption. After overclocking our 7970s to decisively beat 680 performance, the increased power draw is considerable.

That's really the only thing that gives me pause, considering I love the extra compute and gb of RAM. All that's left is for AMD to make the cards actually take advantage of the 28nm architecture, and lower the power consumption/heat, and then I'd never look back

Glad to see someone stepped in. This thread was getting out of control. I think theres been enough discussion on this. No reason to go any further I believe or we'll be right back here again.

For the record, you guys are free to debate and argue the facts all you want , but when it turns personal, people will be infracted as needed to keep the thread civil for the rest of the forum members.

Back