What power supply for what computer?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently re purposed my old Plex server ( Optiplex 755 MT ) into a Win Xp gamer/ Win 7 dual boot for daily web browsing and Email checking.. Gave me some signs that the power supply is going out, so I just proactively ordered an EVGA 500BR for $30 from the bay.

Now I'm thinking, my main rig ( sig rig ) has the original 525w Dell power supply with single 6 pin power.. Would the 500BR be better swapped into my main rig or just use it in the Optiplex? The Optiplex has a Geforce 8600 GT so it does not need a ton of power

I think the Dell T3500 PS will work in the Optiplex if I swapped them

Last edited:
Will 1/2 of the EPS 12v connector on the T3500 power supply fit the 4 pin on the Optiplex mobo? Or can I do some soldering and swap ends?

That EVGA is a single 12 volt rail so you should be fine. The 8-pin EPS will not fit into the 4-pin. With solder and swap anything is possible. Be sure to orient the connector correctly.

Spsgx.png

I could just tie the 2 extra +12v and 2 grounds into the 4 pin connector right? I forgot I actually have a spare T3500 power supply/ wiring harness from T3500 #2 so I don't really have to wait for the EVGA to come in to repair the Optiplex

Don't do that. Good recipe for magic smoke. If you want, just cut the 8-pin off and splice 4-pin to the appropriate four wires as seen above. Leave the other two 12v and GND unused.

The power supplies in the T*500 rigs are solid. There is no reason to change if both systems are working.

Back