• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What power supply for what computer?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
1,418
I recently re purposed my old Plex server ( Optiplex 755 MT ) into a Win Xp gamer/ Win 7 dual boot for daily web browsing and Email checking.. Gave me some signs that the power supply is going out, so I just proactively ordered an EVGA 500BR for $30 from the bay.

Now I'm thinking, my main rig ( sig rig ) has the original 525w Dell power supply with single 6 pin power.. Would the 500BR be better swapped into my main rig or just use it in the Optiplex? The Optiplex has a Geforce 8600 GT so it does not need a ton of power

I think the Dell T3500 PS will work in the Optiplex if I swapped them
 
Last edited:
Will 1/2 of the EPS 12v connector on the T3500 power supply fit the 4 pin on the Optiplex mobo? Or can I do some soldering and swap ends?
 
That EVGA is a single 12 volt rail so you should be fine. The 8-pin EPS will not fit into the 4-pin. With solder and swap anything is possible. Be sure to orient the connector correctly.

Spsgx.png
 
I could just tie the 2 extra +12v and 2 grounds into the 4 pin connector right? I forgot I actually have a spare T3500 power supply/ wiring harness from T3500 #2 so I don't really have to wait for the EVGA to come in to repair the Optiplex
 
Don't do that. Good recipe for magic smoke. If you want, just cut the 8-pin off and splice 4-pin to the appropriate four wires as seen above. Leave the other two 12v and GND unused.
 
The power supplies in the T*500 rigs are solid. There is no reason to change if both systems are working.
 
Back
Top