what order should i water cool

rjolin01

[H]ard|Gawd
I am cooling a quad cpu, nb, mosfet. I have a triple rad and a danger den fillport res, and of course a pump. What order should I go for each chip and should I go to rad before or after pump? Also I have a dual rad I could probaly throw in the loop also if you think its worth it.

Order for the most part does not matter, as long as you don't put the reservoir after the pump. I would go the following setup:

Reservoir -> Pump -> Radiator -> CPU -> NB -> Mosfet -> Reservoir

You can mix the order between cpu, nb, and mosfets but ideally, it is usually done with going from the hottest component to the coldest on the motherboard.

Reservoir before Pump is the only thing that matters. Also it is good practice to have the reservoir physically higher than the pump, it makes it easier to properly fill and bleed the loop. Aside from that route the tubing in whichever way makes it the cleanest / shortest route.

I just run the coolest water to the hottest part first, keeping with the customary logic that the radiator should be just before the pump.

My set up goes: Triple Radiator>Reservoir>pump>CPU>chipset cooler>radiator.

Small advice: buy your watercooling stuff at Sidewindercomputers........service is tip-top and prices are the best around.:D

I just run the coolest water to the hottest part first, keeping with the customary logic that the radiator should be just before the pump.

My set up goes: Triple Radiator>Reservoir>pump>CPU>chipset cooler>radiator.

Small advice: buy your watercooling stuff at Sidewindercomputers........service is tip-top and prices are the best around.:D

I run the same way. Radiator-Res-Pump-CPU. Some folks say that the pump will add heat to the water so it's not a good idea to go this way, but I figure that the radiator should take the heat out of your loop immediately after the water cooled components, including the pump. I also don't like to pump into the radiator then components, because the I believe the strongest water flow should hit your components first.

It really shouldn't matter all that much, but the reservoir before pump is key.

I second the Sidewinders choice as a supplier. I got everything at FrozenCPU, which had quick shipping, but discovered Sidewinder afterwards.

The flow rate will remain the same throughout the loop, the only thing that changes is the pressure. 0 pressure at the surface of the res, max pressure at pump outlet. The pressure will drop steadily throughout the loop until it feed back into the res while the flow remains constant. That is unless leaks are present but I don't like to consider that as an option.

I run the same way. Radiator-Res-Pump-CPU. Some folks say that the pump will add heat to the water so it's not a good idea to go this way, but I figure that the radiator should take the heat out of your loop immediately after the water cooled components, including the pump. I also don't like to pump into the radiator then components, because the I believe the strongest water flow should hit your components first.

It really shouldn't matter all that much, but the reservoir before pump is key.

I second the Sidewinders choice as a supplier. I got everything at FrozenCPU, which had quick shipping, but discovered Sidewinder afterwards.

the pump does add a little heat. here is the thing many people assume that all of the pumps work is discharged as heat..... this simply isn't the case.... what actually happens is that a little heat is generated from things like friction in bearings (and some other sources) which only comes out as a little bit of heat energy... the majority of the power is translated to kinetic and potential energy which makes the water flow and you happy...

also if you happen to be doing a series hookup the flow rate will not change... however i am building a parallel component cooling loop in which that could be an issue....

I mainly was worried that with going from cpu->nb->mosfet, The CPU is the hottest so wouldnt the heat from the cpu be transfered to the nb and to the mosfet?

I mainly was worried that with going from cpu->nb->mosfet, The CPU is the hottest so wouldnt the heat from the cpu be transfered to the nb and to the mosfet?

yha.... thats what i have been thinking, and why i am putting my water blocks in parallel

and with the same logic i would think that sending the coolest water to the coolest component first would be logical as the other way around has the potential to start dumping heat into the cooler components ......

after ~30 mins of use your water will remain a constant temp.

order of the equipment truly does not matter after the system has equalized. I would also suggest having the pump BELOW the res to allow for easy bleeding.

I agree with these guys on having the res higher than the pump....

My order goes

Res --> pump -- > CPU --> VGA --> Rad --> Res

Back