• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What operating system/software for my file server upgrade

nry

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 10, 2008
Messages
409
Im upgrading my file server at the moment as 9TB is full.

Currently it was just a JBOD in windows 7, not really the most ideal setup.

Anyway the new setup consists of:
  • Asus P5Q-E Pro
  • E6750
  • 2GB DDR2 (Upgrading to what ever I can pick up cheaply soon)
  • 120GB 7200rpm system disk
  • Random graphics card
  • Corsair HX650 PSU
  • 3ware 9690sa-8i SAS controller
  • Chenbro CK12803 Expander
Looking at buying 10x 2TB Hitachi disks too.

I was considering hardware raid, maybe 6 for the 10x drives. Then using my existing drives in raid 5.

Im really stuck on the whole software setup of this, I have setup basic linux installs before but nothing like this.

Ideally I want to be able to run a TV server on this too (myth tv maybe)
I don't want this thing to be on 24/7, will setup WOL

Its running completley headless, so what OS should I go with? Need some pointers on this, even if its to some useful threads on here as Im not too sure what I should be searching

Thanks :)
 
Back
Top