What OLED monitor/TV should I get?

Breemzoner

n00b

Alienware 55 OLED Gaming Monitor - AW5520QF or the LG - 55" Class GX Series OLED 4K UHD Smart webOS TV.​

I think the LG tv supports HDR and has a better Delta rating for colors. The site mentions the alienware model having a color gamut of 98.5% DCI-P3 and I couldn't find any info on the GX TV's DCI-P3.

48CX from LG, hands down. There is a 55" model too if that's the size you're after.

In comparison to the alienware OLED monitor - why should I choose 48CX from LG?
  • About half the price.
  • Proper HDR.
  • Smaller so it's sharper at a closer viewing distance.
The only con is that you require HDMI 2.1 GPU for 4K 120 Hz.

Are the colors better on the alienware model though? I think HDR is not enabled to prevent "Burn in". The site mentions a color gamut of 98.5% DCI-P3 and a 0.05m response time.

Are the colors better on the alienware model though? I think HDR is not enabled to prevent "Burn in". The site mentions a color gamut of 98.5% DCI-P3 and a 0.05m response time.

HDR does not cause burn-in as long as you configure Windows for the appropriate SDR brightness level. Most content is SDR so if you set an OLED to show SDR content at a low brightness (like you would use in SDR mode) it will be no more prone to burn-in. Plus on the LG you have the option to choose between SDR and HDR as you like.

The Alienware uses LG OLED panels, probably the same ones found in the C9 series as it is about the same age.

Where is your source of information If I may ask? Does the 48CX feature 98.5% DCI-P3 of colors?

Where is your source of information If I may ask? Does the 48CX feature 98.5% DCI-P3 of colors?
I own the LG CX 48.

See https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled for review.
There is also separate review of the CX 48 as a computer monitor which uses different metrics than the TV reviews. https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/48-cx-oled

Note that this TV appears to have less coverage of the DCI P3 color space compared to the 55 inch LG CX OLED we tested on our TV test bench. This is due to the way we calculate DCI P3 coverage. On TVs, we estimate the DCI P3 coverage based on the Rec. 2020 measurements, but on Monitors, we measure the actual coverage. The 68.5% Rec. 2020 measurement we took on the 48" CX corresponds to a 97% DCI P3 coverage if calculated as a TV, which is also what we calculated on the 55" CX.
Also note that what the manufacturer claims vs what is the actual measured value are different. DCI-P3 is mainly useful for HDR afaik, which just plain sucks on the AW55.

The AW uses LG OLED panels because LG is the only one who manufacturers them in TV sizes at the moment. Thus the main differences come from the electronics used to control said panel. Sony also uses LG panels in their OLEDs, so does Philips.

There is just no situation where you should buy the AW55 over the LG CX 48. You can buy a LG CX 48 and a RTX 3080 and still have spent less money. Or if you for some reason want the larger one, LG C9/CX 55 is the same price or maybe even cheaper.

Thanks for the information man! I highly highly appreciate it! When you put the tv on your desk - How much space do you have? I heard it has a large back end.

Thanks for the information man! I highly highly appreciate it! When you put the tv on your desk - How much space do you have? I heard it has a large back end.
I'd advice budgeting for a wall mount or floorstand. The LG stand is a pile of rubbish because it pokes out so much out the back. You need probably close to 20 cm extra room behind it if you want to use the stock stand.

Back