What nvidia driver for folding AND gaming?

arnemetis

2[H]4U
To start off I've had lots of trouble finding the right driver to play nice with vista, and every time I try to change I get problems. I found 181.22 a while back, and it has been the only rock solid trouble free driver I've had. I've tried many since then, in an effort to keep up with games or to get some more performance, always to no avail. I will get the Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered error, folding will start throwing EUEs, or I'll just get lockups or other graphical problems. Just yesterday I tried the latest direct from nvidia's website, 195.62. I got the display driver has stopped responding error a few times while playing borderlands, and on 1888 pointers my ppd tanks to 3500 per gtx 260 (usually only drops to around 7200).

SO, what drivers are we all running? It would be nice if someone has found a newer driver that works well w/ vista, as I haven't been able to.I didn't like what I experienced with the sli enabled folding when I tried it, as it slowed down desktop performance when independent folding did not, so that isn't an issue. In fact most of my gaming is done on just one gpu while i let the other continue to fold - very few require sli. Thanks for any input, I'm now back on 181.22 again with respectable ppd.

191.07 are what i use.. but are not recommended if your using it on a system with a nvidia chipset.. for some reason the drivers fry cards that are on boards with nvidia chipsets.. but the 195.62 drivers are worthless..

the drivers i used for a really long time and worked great were the 186.18 drivers.. those are the ones i suggest to use.. only thing is you will lose a lot of sli profiles/fixes for newer games..

I am running the 195.62 on win7 x64 and dont have issues

I just updated to the newest ones a few days ago...no issues. Same as previous version (or two).
Actually I *never* have ever had problems with nV drivers; can't say the same for ATi, however. :eek:

I just keep updated to the latest set of drivers, never noticed any appreciable different in output, of course I don't run SLI either...

I just keep updated to the latest set of drivers, never noticed any appreciable different in output, of course I don't run SLI either...
Have you ever noticed any kind of change in production with your clients updating to newer drivers in the past?

Right now I'm using 191.07 on my Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe motherboard with no problems. Been running them now since they released.

Thanks so far guys. I'll check out 186.18 and see if I have any better luck. I've gotten used to using my own sli profiles so that's not a concern, its mainly stability. I think the drop in ppd was mainly due to the display driver stopped responding bug, which either stopped the client for a while or just slowed it down altogether, I don't know. I really should move to win7, but damn do I have a lot of stuff installed, just can't be bothered to reinstall everything right now.

Thanks so far guys. I'll check out 186.18 and see if I have any better luck. I've gotten used to using my own sli profiles so that's not a concern, its mainly stability. I think the drop in ppd was mainly due to the display driver stopped responding bug, which either stopped the client for a while or just slowed it down altogether, I don't know. I really should move to win7, but damn do I have a lot of stuff installed, just can't be bothered to reinstall everything right now.

well from what i can tell is the 195.62 drivers have an issue with aero.. because i run dual displays.. when i had the 195.62 drivers and tried to game it would lag like hell unless i opened up something on my left monitor so the desktop wasnt showing.. 191.07 drivers dont have this problem.. and my PPD was garbage under the 195.62 drivers as well.. was avging around 4000-4500 ppd on my GTX 260.. 191.07 drivers will be the last ones i ever use.. im not going to update ever again and this will be my last nvidia card i own.. even if F@H's gpu3 client makes ATI cards run worse..

Back