• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What method to apply thermal paste?

chzxmnky

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
138
Hi, I currently have a Pentium 4 3.2ghz w/HT socket 478 with a Coolermaster Aero 4 Lite, and am about to change it to a Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu and was wondering how I should apply my Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste? When I first put the Aero 4 Lite, I put a drop the size of a BB in the middle of my CPU, and then just smashed it down with the Coolermaster. Should I do the same thing for the Zalman? or is there a more efficient way of applying it? Pictures would most definately be helpful. Thank you!
 
I usually take a little smaller than a BB, apply it to a corner, and spread it out with a razor blade, ends up have a little thinner than tissue paper of a coating on the die. Juts enoughfor good thermal properties, not enough to squeeze out the sides.
 
The end result should just be thin enough to fill in any minute gaps between the HS and the CPU. We are talking minute here.

Subway sandwich stylee need not apply. :)

Less is more.
 
FlatLine84 said:
I usually take a little smaller than a BB, apply it to a corner, and spread it out with a razor blade, ends up have a little thinner than tissue paper of a coating on the die. Juts enoughfor good thermal properties, not enough to squeeze out the sides.


Exactly how i do it with an exacto blade (on home units that i may overclock) - in our shop i usually use stock pads for warranties. Unless it's a performance job. At home i use coffee filters to clean old gooop off with Isopropyl. They work well with no fibers released.
 
I like the idea that it should look like you've put wax paper over it-- just enough to see through, sorta filmy. I also like the idea of using coffee filters, imma steal that one.

I assume you use the filter before brewing? :D
 
Artic Silver has provided a wonderful guide on how to apply the product. Since they invented the stuff and this subject has been covered (no pun indented) countless times why not go to their site and READ!

This shouldn’t even be a discussion anymore ;) :D
 
JZL' said:
I like the idea that it should look like you've put wax paper over it-- just enough to see through, sorta filmy. I also like the idea of using coffee filters, imma steal that one.

I assume you use the filter before brewing? :D

Yeah, cheap walmart filters too. I fold it up and dap it with the alcohol and unfold it as i go on to use more to get more surface. The nice thing about A64 chips is that the core is large and is much easier to clean off than the older axp's with the smaller core. no need to use q-tips anymore ro keep the paste off of the ceramic (as the A64's don't have much of a ceramic base). Works out great.
 
I read on overclockers.com that the best way to apply heatsink goo was to put 2 peices of scotch tape on the heatsink apart the distance of the cpu die/heatspreader and tehn applying a small drop of goo to the center, then you spread the goo by something flat and thin (credit card? floppy disc?) until the goo is thin and even , the same thickness as the tape, then you remove the tape and wella, thermal heatsink compound equal in thickness to a layer of scotch tape. According to overclockers.com this is superior to other methods by a measurable amount. In my experience this just makes a nice even layer, more even than putting a bb size drop down and then squishing it around with the heatsink, and prevents over-gooing. I hope its understandable, I'm a little bit drunk and a lot bit tired, just got off work delivering pizzas, its 4Am here.
 
Wow thanks for that. That sounds like it would really work well. I'm going to use that method when I get my Apex kit. (from the group buy or not I dont know.)
 
FlatLine84 said:
I usually take a little smaller than a BB, apply it to a corner, and spread it out with a razor blade, ends up have a little thinner than tissue paper of a coating on the die. Juts enoughfor good thermal properties, not enough to squeeze out the sides.
Really? Kind of makes me want to re-do my application... your method sound alot better than mine.
I just put a very small bead "drop" in the center, dropped in my HSF and slightly turned it sideways (left to right) to spread the paste a bit and nailed down the heatsink.
 
daedal said:
Really? Kind of makes me want to re-do my application... your method sound alot better than mine.
I just put a very small bead "drop" in the center, dropped in my HSF and slightly turned it sideways (left to right) to spread the paste a bit and nailed down the heatsink.

That's the method Arctic Silver's web site describes as preferred.
 
WhyYouLoveMe said:
That's the method Arctic Silver's web site describes as preferred.

I would agree, except by twisting the heatsink left to right, you risk forming air pockets in the paste.
 
I should say that the AS web site says one quarter turn. Not turning back and forth.
 
FlatLine84 said:
I would agree, except by twisting the heatsink left to right, you risk forming air pockets in the paste.

That is exactly why AS recommends the "dab in center" method for large contact area CPU's over spreading it thin first.
To help eliminate air pockets, which act as insulators.

BillR said:
Artic Silver has provided a wonderful guide on how to apply the product. Since they invented the stuff and this subject has been covered (no pun indented) countless times why not go to their site and READ!

This shouldn’t even be a discussion anymore ;) :D

Agreed. :D

The web address for the instructions is written on the side of the tube BTW.
 
So, i tried applying a thin layer using a blade, and when i set the cnps7000 down, my idle temp was 49C. Kinda poopy, since i started with 46C on my aero4lite. I removed it, and found that it was barely making contact on one edge, so i decided to try it again with the dot in the middle, smash, and twist slightly. Now my idle temp is 43C-45C. It's a gain, but i was expecting more? Does anyone have advice? maybe i should try the thin layer again and just screw it in tighter? what temps should i be expecting with this prescott p4 3.2, cnps7000, and antec superlanboy with stock case fans? one last question, what method do you guys use to detect cpu temps? im using Motherboard Monitor 5. Im guessing it shouldnt matter what i use, since im comparing my temps between two heatsink/fans using the same program. help!
 
chzxmnky said:
So, i tried applying a thin layer using a blade, and when i set the cnps7000 down, my idle temp was 49C. Kinda poopy, since i started with 46C on my aero4lite. I removed it, and found that it was barely making contact on one edge, so i decided to try it again with the dot in the middle, smash, and twist slightly. Now my idle temp is 43C-45C. It's a gain, but i was expecting more? Does anyone have advice? maybe i should try the thin layer again and just screw it in tighter? what temps should i be expecting with this prescott p4 3.2, cnps7000, and antec superlanboy with stock case fans? one last question, what method do you guys use to detect cpu temps? im using Motherboard Monitor 5. Im guessing it shouldnt matter what i use, since im comparing my temps between two heatsink/fans using the same program. help!

I'm pretty sure those are normal temps for your P4 3.2 using a CNPS7000. I use my mobo's BIOS and a program called MyGuard to monitor temps for my AMD 64 3700 San Diego using a CNPS7700AlCu.
 
place a BB sized blob in the middle of the CPU and let the heatsink spread it for you when you set it on the CPU.

Works GREAT
 
I usually do the BB in the middle method simply because that's always what I have seen on the AC information page. I have tried spreading it real thin with a credit card but have never noticed any drop in temps.
 
Chalk one up for the BB in the middle method. It takes the work out of evening the stuff yourself and eliminates air pockets. Just like putting a sticker on your windshield.
 
Back
Top