what method do you use for grounding

grounding what exactly? Your usage of a large font makes it slightly less unclear though.

I just briefly touch the bare metal of the case. Nothing more.

If I'm doing work for someone else I have a properly grounded static mat and wrist strap. For my own stuff I do the same as kumquat.

I touch the case. I am too lazy to buy a strap, and although Ive never been screwed by static killing something, I think that time is coming.

$500 PC? Touch the chassis.
$500,000 server? Touch the chassis.
$500,000 server on carpet with low humidity? Lean on the chassis.

Wrist strap. $7. Cheap insurance.

A properly grounded static mat would be good - I just wish I could find one that wasn't outrageously priced.

i heard that latex gloves work

Rub a balloon on your hair and see how much static electricity you can generate - you can easily get enough charge to hold the balloon to a wall. Balloons are made of latex - just like the gloves.

Wrist strap - why is the concept so difficult to comprehend? Cheap, functional, easy to find.

i heard that latex gloves work to is that tru

Latex gloves are the exact opposite of what you'd want. They build charge, not dispel it.

When working inside a PC, it isn't really necessary to pay a significant amount of care towards grounding. Just make sure the PSU is turned to off and the power cable is connected, and touch the bare metal of the inside of the case to ground yourself. It's a two-second precaution, and it's all the prevention you need.

When working inside a PC, it isn't really necessary to pay a significant amount of care towards grounding.

Getting people to use a wrist strap is like getting people to drive with a seat belt. Some get it, some don't. Those that don't will use all sorts of justifications as to why they don't need one. Rationally speaking, there's no reason not to use one.

Getting people to use a wrist strap is like getting people to drive with a seat belt. Some get it, some don't. Those that don't will use all sorts of justifications as to why they don't need one. Rationally speaking, there's no reason not to use one.

Perhaps you didn't read the rest of my post which explains how to achieve the same effect a wrist strap provides without actually having to buy one or have to deal with putting it on your wrist. I said you don't have to pay a great deal of care toward grounding; I didn't say you shouldn't pay any.

Touching the case occasionally does not provide adequate protection, regardless of what you may think.

I just touch the PSU every time I am about to work on a computer component even though I know I should invest in a strap.

ci, essay I thought this was the imagration section bro...

:p

I'm sure if you are spending hundreds possibly thousands on a computer, a $3.49 anti static wrist strap can fit somewhere into that budget, to help insure that you don't fry all that money. It's worth it.

[sarcasm]Right because Rosewil products are all very functional[/sarcasm].

I never have, perhaps I should. Dropped a Q6600 on my carpet, went for a bit of a slide to, figured I was out $300 (at the time). Popped it up and the machine hasn't failed to post in over 6 months.

Sure would like a solid answer to this one though.

There is no solid answer. It's all a matter of chance and liability. The higher your liability the less chances you will take. IC's have ESD protection diodes on the pins. As speeds have increased the ability to protect the pins has decreased but generally there is still protection there. Once the parts are installed they get a little more protection from just being on a circuit board with many paths to dissipate the energy safely. Once in a metal case this improves again as chances are the energy will go into the case. A grounded case is better yet. A wrist strap is good because it helps prevent the build of charge in the first place. ESD safe bench surface, chairs, misc furniture, tools, and lab coat is next so charge wont build up on surfaces. The flooring has to be ESD safe allowing effective use of heel straps or ESD shoes. Then you have an air ionizer so the air isn't conducive to allow static build up. Finally there are rules about what is allowed in an ESD safe area. No styrofoam cups or scotch tape for instance. And of course the ESD safe area is clearly marked, with a sign in sheet and ESD tester at the entrance.

grounding what exactly? Your usage of a large font makes it slightly less unclear though.

lmao2ig4.gif

WRTT: I just ground the case. If I'm soldering on an expensive part (like a GPU) I just wrap a wire around my wrist and connect it to the ground socket on a power outlet through an appropriate resistor (a megohm or so).

Mind you, I live in Oregon; if I lived somewhere with more static I'd prolly wear the strap more often.

$500 PC? Touch the chassis.
$500,000 server? Touch the chassis.
$500,000 server on carpet with low humidity? Lean on the chassis.

LMFAO, I was thinkin the same thing.
Always been fine touching the chassis, but it doesn't take much to run a wire to a ground plane either. Do as you feel comfortable.

i finished building it and i just touch the case frequently standing tile and had everything on a wooden table everything turned out great no problems thanks for the advice

I don't ground myself. I build them on a carpeted floor and I touch a door knob before hand. Does it work? Probably not, but I've yet to kill one out of hundreds.

I don't ground myself. I build them on a carpeted floor and I touch a door knob before hand. Does it work? Probably not, but I've yet to kill one out of hundreds.

The problem is you may never know if you comprised something because of this. The effectiveness of touching a door knob depends on many uncontrolled factors.

i just put my finger to any metal surface of a wall socket for a few seconds and then I begin working... always worked fine.

First, you should send the offending child(ren) to their rooms, promptly telling them that they are grounded indefinitely. Check on them regularly, so that they keep grounded.

I lose it :p

I never lose my seatbelt, and I always wear it.

If I was smart, I'd remember to buy a new one sometime!

Just for everyone's information, a wrist strap is no more effective than simply touching the object you connect the wrist strap to.

Wrist straps aren't magic. They just maintain contact between your skin and the object you're grounding to.

Just for everyone's information, a wrist strap is no more effective than simply touching the object you connect the wrist strap to.

Wrist straps aren't magic. They just maintain contact between your skin and the object you're grounding to.

Except a wrist strap will maintain constant contact with the ground, while just touching something could allow a charge to build up and a zap something before you remember to ground yourself again.

I have a wrist strap that I use when working on other peoples stuff, but for my own I just touch the case. Never had any issues.

Back