What Makes Torrents Work?

I gave up torrenting because either I picked up a poorly encoded movie or something I shouldn't have had in the first place

I gave up torrenting because either I picked up a poorly encoded movie or something I shouldn't have had in the first place

My biggest problem with them is their "popularity" nature. If you want to pirate a movie that just out in the last month, then ya you're probably fine. But try finding something that was uploaded 2 years ago and actually getting a full download out of it.

A month or 2 ago I discovered that in 2011 Smashing Pumpkins made available a 24/96 remaster of Siamese Dreams. But then they stopped selling it some time after. Well now it's damn near impossible to find a true torrent of that. I had 1 that I found, but only 1 seed and it was slow and it finally dissapeared after several days. So I ended up only getting about 2/3rds of the files. If no one is interested in it, then you are screwed. Where as something like Mega, stays active for a while as long as the account is active. I have found Mega links from 3-4 years ago that still work.

It took me like 6 months to finally get a full download of an old 90's movie called TimeScape. It's a movie that most people don't care about and the (out of print) DVD is cost prohibitive.

My biggest problem with them is their "popularity" nature. If you want to pirate a movie that just out in the last month, then ya you're probably fine. But try finding something that was uploaded 2 years ago and actually getting a full download out of it.

A month or 2 ago I discovered that in 2011 Smashing Pumpkins made available a 24/96 remaster of Siamese Dreams. But then they stopped selling it some time after. Well now it's damn near impossible to find a true torrent of that. I had 1 that I found, but only 1 seed and it was slow and it finally dissapeared after several days. So I ended up only getting about 2/3rds of the files. If no one is interested in it, then you are screwed. Where as something like Mega, stays active for a while as long as the account is active. I have found Mega links from 3-4 years ago that still work.

It took me like 6 months to finally get a full download of an old 90's movie called TimeScape. It's a movie that most people don't care about and the (out of print) DVD is cost prohibitive.

I hate that. On those, I really try and seed as long as I can. But, you don't have to be an asshole - "OLD 90's Movie"... 90's is not old. I graduated high school in 1994, and that's not old. I'm not old. It's not me, it's the kids that are wrong! :D

but.... he didn't even know its MICRO Torrent, not u torrent.

Neither did I... Not that I care. qBittorrent is much better these days, anyway. Now, I'm questioning... Is it "Queue Bittorrent" or something else? :/

I hate that. On those, I really try and seed as long as I can. But, you don't have to be an asshole - "OLD 90's Movie"... 90's is not old. I graduated high school in 1994, and that's not old. I'm not old. It's not me, it's the kids that are wrong! :D

You know it's only another 5 or 6 years before you start hearing Pearl Jam on the "oldie's" station. The Oldies station doesn't lie.

-Class of 99 here.

EDIT: Here's a sample of the track listing in the last hour for Dallas/Fort Worth 98.7 KLUV (Tagline "KLUV My Oldies")

• Sussudio - Phil Collins
  • Kiss on My List - Hall And Oats
  • Bad Case of Loving You - Robert Palmer
  • Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
  • Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran

#1 private trackers are where it's at. Also seed boxes are the shit. I don't like how this video doesn't really get in depth about torrent technology and also how it focuses solely on "illegal" use without also pointing out how companies like Blizzard use it to distribute content.

Also for anyone out there like would like to use something similar in the IT field check out this beautiful little tool I found recently.

BranchCache for OSD Toolkit - 2Pint Software
2Pint Software – BranchCache for OSD Toolkit

"The only reason you know about this is cause you download stuff illegally"

Odd, this Tera Online installer must be illegal;

Same thing shamis points out

1:27 "lets be honest the real reason you torrent is because your stealing"

Blizzard distros their games via torrenting...

Back