What Linux Distro for a Linux Newbie?

Format _C:

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 12, 2001
Messages
4,191
The computer that will be running it is a
PIII 800 MHZ
256MB Ram
3com Nic
HDD either a 40 0r 80 GB
optical drive from my pile o junk :D
floppy drive

So what is the best distro for me thanks
 
there are a hundred threads on this...

personally I am partial to Fedora Core 3/Redhat Ent Linux, but that's just my 2 scents
 
LOL stay away from an enterprise solution for a first attempt.

2 I would strongly consider are SimplyMepis or PCLinuxOS.
 
arcturus said:
LOL stay away from an enterprise solution for a first attempt.

2 I would strongly consider are SimplyMepis or PCLinuxOS.
FC3 and RHEL are basically the same OS... one free and one not... one more stable one bleeding edge...
 
Here's how i learned linux. For about 50 dollars you can get the red hat bible from barnes and noble. It had everything I needed to get me started
 
I just installed Ubuntu this past Monday and I love it. ALl of the other distros I've used have problems with my sound card. Now, I just have to figure out how to get my mp3 player and usb keydrive to work.

Good Luck!
 
tejarz said:
I just installed Ubuntu this past Monday and I love it. ALl of the other distros I've used have problems with my sound card. Now, I just have to figure out how to get my mp3 player and usb keydrive to work.

Good Luck!

Ubuntu is perfect for low-maint web browsing machines ($50 to $100 on Ebay) or newbie machines.

To get your MP3's up and running:

wget http://download.ubuntuforums.org/ubuntusetup/ubuntusetup.sh
sudo sh ubuntusetup.sh
 
sc3252 said:
I would go with mandrake or ubuntu.
Precisely my thoughts. SimplyMEPIS isn't bad either, but out of those three, I would choose ubuntu because of apt-get. I started with RHEL3, which was a bad and overly expensive idea.
 
I started with FC3. Didnt like it especially on my test/server box which is a PII 233mhz. Even with XFCE, it crawls.

I tried Ubuntu and loved it. apt-get is a really easy way to get your stuff. But I dont like gnome because its too bloated and is a memory hog. used debfoster to removed it and setup XFCE on it. Its really a good distro for beginner to start with.

Now, on my Ubuntu PII 233mhz server, I am on console usually but sometimes will run XFCE if i need my GUI. On my main athlon system, running ubuntu.
 
I have used Slackware,Ubuntu, and Suse.
My recommendation is for Ubuntu because its the most user friendly without having so much extra stuff as the Suse DVD iso.
 
Back
Top