What Linux Distro Do You Use?

ArchUser87

n00b
Hi everyone, thought it would be great to see what everyone that uses Linux use has their Distro and the reason why, I'm currently using Linux Mint on my Laptop which I use has a Linux Distro hoping rig, but I prefer Arch Linux (obviously with username lol) just got to get around the Vanilla installer, have used Antergos and Manjaro before, I prefer and use Arch has I like the whole KISS idea and want to learn more about Linux, currently still a noob.

BZdooUv.png

Cheers.

I've used a great number of distro's including Arch, after all the distro hopping I've finally settled on Ubuntu Mate 16.04 - Never lets me down.

XrSjmlF.png

I've experienced Linux off and on since 1998. Linux has matured at an amazing pace.

My 76 year old mother is locked down to Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1.

She's happy.

That's really all I care about.

My point is that Linux is freaking awesome.

But it's not prime-time ready.

Just my useless 2 cents opinion.

Saying Linux isn't prime time ready doesn't reflect well on Windows, as while I can't comment for everybody, in my experience running Linux and windows PC's Linux has far less issues than Windows.

I'm just starting to use Linux and my "favorite" is RoboLinux 8.6 Cinnamon. I hope this thread doesn't degenerate into another dull argument over which is "better" Linux or Windows since that is not the topic.

I'm just starting to use Linux and my "favorite" is RoboLinux 8.6 Cinnamon. I hope this thread doesn't degenerate into another dull argument over which is "better" Linux or Windows since that is not the topic.
Yes I agree, I have no issues with Windows, just like the idea with Linux being free and open without having cost added to a already costly world.

Maui 2 here. Very nice desktop environment with super easy CLI integration.

I use Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon but will probably be updating to 18.1 soon. I have tried a bunch of other distros but none have fit me quite as well as Mint with Cinnamon.

Hardcore Linux users like to claim that Mint is a beginner distro, personally I think that's a load of BS - Mint is a good Distro all round suitable for hardcore users as well as beginners.

I'm compleately happy with Ubuntu Mate, but it wouldn't take much for me to switch back to Mint.

I've been a *nix user since 97, and a Gentoo fan since it first came out. These days, using Sabayon as my only Linux distro and still use Solaris as well if uptime is a concern. At work we use Suse & RHEL, though I'm not an admin of those :oldman:

Hardcore Linux users like to claim that Mint is a beginner distro, personally I think that's a load of BS - Mint is a good Distro all round suitable for hardcore users as well as beginners.

I'm compleately happy with Ubuntu Mate, but it wouldn't take much for me to switch back to Mint.

I feel the same about xUbuntu. It's a good, sane middle ground between what almost everyone wants, IMHO. A familiar UI and reasonable default apps that don't take away as much as they add to the distro. Fairly lightweight, too, a full install fits in under 2GB if you need it to.

I put my dad on Mint a while ago as I prefered mate as I wasn't a big fan of gnome shell. He has been using it on one of his machines for years and has been happy. Personally I've generally used debian for anything I've done over the years(at least since redhat came out with fedora I I used to use them).

I actually think I'm getting ready to buy one of the dell developer xps notebooks to use linux on as I don't have any machines personally with it currently on them and want to stay semi active on the platform.

I actually think I'm getting ready to buy one of the dell developer xps notebooks to use linux on as I don't have any machines personally with it currently on them and want to stay semi active on the platform.

I am holding out for the kaby lake xps 15.

I have been using mint for about a year now and just moved to 18.1 and it's really nice so far. Unfortuntly, I cannot get the battle.net app to work with 18.1.

I am holding out for the kaby lake xps 15.

Big thing with the 15 is the quad core processor. I prefer the smaller laptops though. It is a matter of what one prefers though.

My work has a dell gift card that I'm going to be given to buy a notebook. I wish they had a 14 inch precision notebook as I'd go with it.

Big thing with the 15 is the quad core processor. I prefer the smaller laptops though. It is a matter of what one prefers though.

My work has a dell gift card that I'm going to be given to buy a notebook. I wish they had a 14 inch precision notebook as I'd go with it.

I just want a bigger screen :D

Just finished rebuilding my Laptop with Fedora. I will most likely end up bouncing back to a Debian distro for slightly better end user package support...

Screenshot from 2017-01-02 23-52-00.png

I used Ubuntu and Xubuntu and Mint for awhile. Then I moved to Arch and have never looked back.

Even on my work computer I have relegated Windows 10 (what the company is moving to) to a local Virtual Machine.

Red Hat, SUSE, FreeBSD, HPUX, AIX, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, Kali - work
CentOS - my servers
Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, Kali - desktop

Interesting vertical panel there rat!

Really helps on widescreen monitors. Especially low resolution ones on my craptop. Moving the panel to the size is another click of scroll height saved.

Really helps on widescreen monitors. Especially low resolution ones on my craptop. Moving the panel to the size is another click of scroll height saved.

And this is very true.

I was using a 4:3 17" monitor a little while ago, it was a really good quality Dell monitor and I couldn't help but think to myself if I could get two 4:3 20" monitors with good DPI specifications I'd much rather them over the 23" 16:9 monitors I have now.

And this is very true.

I was using a 4:3 17" monitor a little while ago, it was a really good quality Dell monitor and I couldn't help but think to myself if I could get two 4:3 20" monitors with good DPI specifications I'd much rather them over the 23" 16:9 monitors I have now.

I have just a 1440p 27" 144hz gaming screen on my dual boot desktop. It's passable.

I use Arch Linux with KDE Plasma & CK Kernel (optimized for Broadwell) on my laptop. My desktop is still running Windows 10 Pro full force but I will probably through Arch Linux on a spare SSD to see how that goes.

Not much beyond that other than Steam (native), Steam (WINE), itch.io & Discord running all of the time

Back