What laptop do you have for Gaming and Why?

jcg624

Limp Gawd
What laptop do you use for Gaming and why?

Why did you choose Nvidia over AMD or other way.

Why Intel over AMD or AMD over intel? Did you go for performance over price?

What was most important when choosing a gaming laptop?

Thank you

GS30 Shadow - Portable and can put a titan-x in the dock.

The titan-x is the fastest single GPU card.

No such thing as a gaming class AMD machine.

Performance and usability.

What laptop do you use for Gaming and why? - Lenovo Z575a because it was cheap, and still capable to play new games at the time of purchase

Why did you choose Nvidia over AMD or other way. - I choose AMD because it had the best price / performance ratio

Did you go for performance over price? - I always get what offers the best performance at the price point of my choosing.

What was most important when choosing a gaming laptop? - Portability

What type of laptop do you use for gaming and why?
Lenovo T61p. Have it mainly for work. But, because I primarily game on my desktop, and the T61p with max memory and an SSD is still serviceable, I really can't justify running out and getting a newer laptop.

Why did I choose nVidia over AMD?
Honestly, I didn't. The Quadro discrete graphics was what was offered with the laptop at the time.

Did you go performance over price?
Actually I kinda balanced. I went for the high-res screen upgrade, and got the fastest CPU and longest warranty I could afford. At the time, I skimped heavily on memory and hard drive space (as I could always upgrade those). Since then, I've maxed memory out and dropped in an SSD. And the machine is still an excellent performer, provided I don't try stupid shit with it.

What is most important when choosing a gaming laptop?
It's going to be different for everyone, every time they go to buy.

MacBook Pro; I bought it as a system that I could run VMs in (so host OS wasn't that important), was actually light weight and had decent battery life (unlike the Precisions and EliteBook workstations that preceded it), and had good high DPI support (I was not impresses with 3200x1800 support in 8). Gaming capability was just a bonus that came with the configuration I ordered. And, I run Windows 10 Pro off a USB external drive, rather than the internal SSD, which isolates the systems {I hate dual boots}. Not that it matters, but just throwing out that I'm weird like that.

Because that's how it came. That, and I'd rather have nVidia for their frequent driver releases. FirePros were always a hassle compared to Quadros.

Not that I had any choice, but there's absolutely nothing on the AMD CPU side that would make me buy one over an intel. And as a MacBook owner and frequent purchaser of workstation class laptops, price is never the main concern (although I do cry a bit when I click "buy"). I just want a good tool for the job.

Battery life, good screen. The life it can live outside of within games.

Gigabyte P35x v3 - because of its size, weight, and power. 1080P screen because I'd rather max out at 1080P with all settings as high as they can go with the hardware it has. Nvidia because the 980m was the most powerful single GPU on the market at the time. Intel, because it was the only processor paired with that GPU at the time.

Portability >/= Performance > Price

Back