What language and how difficult?

daemonmf

Limp Gawd
I play Risk 2210 with a goup of friends. One of them is a multimedia and design graduate who decided to scan the game into his computer. He's not a programmer, but he got the game playable using Photoshop and Director. He doesn't know how to create or destroy instances of the game pieces so we start out with all the pieces we should ever need on the board with like pieces in a pile so you can just keep taking pieces. The problem with this is that it runs very slow. Being the only person in our Risk group with any programming experience, I've been tasked with figuring out how to create/destroy pieces so we only have as many as we need on the board. I have a couple problems with this. First, I don't care for Director for what we're doing. And second, because my friend doesn't know how to program at all, he just copied and pasted code he found on the web so it's pretty ugly. I'd rather just write it from scratch with something that won't bring the system to it's knees. I'm thinking Java as I've had some C++ experience so I'm familiar with the syntax and I know Java has some decent graphical/GUI libraries. I think once i figure out how to display and manipulate 2D objects on the screen I can handle the rest. I've just never done any graphical programming. How hard would it be to this in Java? Would another language be more appropriate.

sounds like the kind of thing Flash was made for.

well.. i would do it in php.. much easier to have multiple people playing (and distance games too)

that would also make it extremely easy for calculating everything for the game (reenforcments.. cards etc etc).

have everyrhing on a mysql db and yer pretty much good to go.

the best part is you coukld probably learn php from scratch and have the game running in 2 or so weeks coding/learning in your spare time.

Back