• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What kinda wireless adapter is good?

Wuuzy

n00b
Joined
Jul 19, 2005
Messages
32
I recently got this 2wire 1701 wireless gateway or whatever from SBC and I need to get an adapter for my computer. Can u guys give me any suggestions on good wireless adapters? I'm kinda looking for 100mbps +. is that even possible? Also, should I be looking into USB adapters or PCI???

Thanks
 
That model is G wireless, right? Most G adapters should work OK...the 2Wire units seem a little finicky no matter what you use..every now and then you'll get a drop. I'm not overly fond of them. I've used several different brand PCCards in my laptop when I'm over a friends house with a 2Wire. At best I've seen 34 megs or so from just one room over, you won't be seeing a hundred megs.
 
Still, what is a good wireless adapter?? Is PCI usually better than USB or vice versa??

Thanks
 
USB adapters are not good, becuase some can't have an external antenna if you need one, I would go with a linksys pci card.
 
Wuuzy said:
Still, what is a good wireless adapter?? Is PCI usually better than USB or vice versa??

Thanks

Doesn't matter. If you're a laptop user, a PCMCIA card would be preferred..less chance of getting broken from sticking out as much.

If you're a desktop/tower user, eh..either way. Whichever one you find which allows you to locate your 'tenna up high...many USB ones easily allow you to place them up high on the desk, some PCI based ones have a cord to allow you to do that also. As for the bus itself (PCI versus USB)...it's wireless, even old USB 1.1 isn't your bottleneck.
 
If a Desktop, I'm a BIG fan of Foxconn's '11g PCI adapter. GREAT signal, and a shorty magmount antenna on a 3 foot cable.
 
Back
Top