What kind of socket is in a Inspiron 1150 Notebook?

JRT

Limp Gawd
Hello,
This laptop I have is a Dell Inspiron 1150 with 2.4Ghz Celeron, can anyone tell me what kind of socket is in this thing and what kind of P4 can be put in it, is it 478?

Also if anyone knows what is the max speed of ram it can take.
It has 2x256 DDR266 now, but from searching it seems it can take up to 2x1GB of DDR333, anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks Alot.

Probably 478, although I honestly do not know..... :confused:

I've got no idea about the ram, might want to check Dell's website on that one. :rolleyes:

Nevermind, I found the answer, 2.8Ghz SL725 is the fastest supported because the motherboard won't support HTT.

The thing I hated about the 1150 is that although you can plug in a 533MHz FSB CPU, the memory is always run at PC2100 speed. The chipset supports PC2700 but support is not enabled in the BIOS.

The nearly identical 5100 (TV out) supports PC2700 memory. I wonder if it's possible to cross flash the 1150 to get PC2700 memory working.

There are non-HT Mobile P4 CPUs higher than 2.8GHz, like the 3.06GHz (SL726, non-HT). SL726 is a 70W TDP processor vs 68.4W TDP for SL725.

Last year I had upgraded my 1150 from a "Mobile" Celeron 2.6GHz (in quotes because it was just a desktop NW core, 62.6W TDP) to a mobile P4 2.8GHz. I considered a 3.06GHz upgrade, but went with the 2.8GHz because it was $40 cheaper at the time.

Are you sure about the mem clock speed, because like you said I have read that it supports PC2700, that sucks if indeed true.
Is there no way to change the mem clock from in Windows?

I was checking out the cpus on Intel's site and all I saw were anything in the Mobile P4 catergory was HTT above 2.8.

JRT said:
Are you sure about the mem clock speed, because like you said I have read that it supports PC2700, that sucks if indeed true.
Is there no way to change the mem clock from in Windows?

I was checking out the cpus on Intel's site and all I saw were anything in the Mobile P4 catergory was HTT above 2.8.
Dell's spec page stated PC2100 only and I verified it myself with PC2700 SODIMMs. No, there's no way of changing it in Windows unless someone wrote something new in the last 6 months (pretty unlikely for such an old chipset).

SL77P (Mobile P4 3.06GHz) has HT, but SL726 (Mobile P4 3.06GHz) does not have HT. There is one faster NW core Mobile P4, but it has HT (SL77R 3.2GHz).

well, when my mobo died on my 5150, i took the ram out and the processor is sittin there. me n my friend looked it over and it looks like an S478 socket. It also supports Pc2700. The RAM (yea, non overclocking infineon, but w/e, it's a laptop). It says on the RAM itself.

You say you have a cpu sitting there, wanna sell it?
If so,
What is it and how much. :)

Try and update the bios. Sometimes in the laptops, the bios is changeable and see if you can find a dead newer model that has a compatible bios.

Well, I updated the bios to the newest the other day, A07 is the newest.
There are no adjustable mem timings available.
The machine runs just fine the way it is but it is slow from the crippled Celeron and slow ram.
I was just thining a 2.8Ghz P4 and 1GB of PC2700 would make this a sweet laptop for school.
However, there really is nothing wrong with it now, I am just a performance junkie. :D

JRT said:
However, there really is nothing wrong with it now, I am just a performance junkie. :D
The only reason I was disappoined was because the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 uses the same single channel PC2100 as the CPU. An extra 600MB/s of bandwidth would have helped in the few old games that were even playable. For non-gaming apps, it's only a couple of % difference in application performance, more than made up for by the CPU upgrade anyways. :D

I suggested cross flashing the 1150 to a 5100 above, but that's probably not a good idea since the BIOS flash chip is soldered and the laptop of course doesn't have a built in floppy for boot block recovery.

I doubt flashing it to a 5100 would be a good idea, lol.
It it fails, it is toast. :eek:

Back