What kind of PSU do I need?

Read only the bold text if you don't want to be bored with details that aren't directly related to my PSU question.

Well, I've found myself in a really interesting situation, due to trying to save money and always finding that the results weren't satisfactory after the fact.

I started out with an overclocked Q6600 with a P5N-E SLI, and an EVGA 8800 GTS w/320MB. I wanted to play games like Assassin's Creed Revelations and Minecraft on a 1920x1200 monitor, not really expecting to play high-end titles like Oblivion or Skyrim. Since it was already a quad-core, I thought I could get away with just a graphics card upgrade.

I wanted to avoid a PSU upgrade (I only had a 550W Unit of generic origin), so I went with a 2GB 560 Ti (MSI Twin Frozr II) hoping the PSU would be able to take it since that was 50 watts over what nVidia set as a minimum requirement. It didn't work out... I got constant restarts every time I pushed the card even a little, and ended up buying an Antec Earthwatts EA-650, which has served me pretty well so far.

After that, the 560 Ti did perform a little better than my old 8800 GTS, but I found over time that the system was no longer stable with the 3.0GHz overclock I had somehow managed on the Q6600 up to that point. So I had to revert to the stock speed of 2.4GHz, and that made the performance drop back almost to where it was before the upgrade, so that it was only a 20% improvement over the old card.

I was unhappy with how my CPU was limiting my performance, so I decided to upgrade my motherboard, CPU, and RAM as well. I got a 2600k, an ASUS Maximus IV Extreme (overkill because I wasn't planning to overclock my 2600k for a year or two, but I was pissed off at how my previous motherboard had limited my overclocking headroom due to lousy power regulators or something.), and some RAM. I installed all this in my old case, since it had mounting holes for EATX motherboards, though it was a really tight fit.

I could not get the stock fan mounted properly at all, and the CPU kept overheating/shutting down. I panicked about frying my new expensive components, and took the machine in to have it professionally assembled the rest of the way, which really just meant hooking up the Power button and installing a better fan at that point, since it was already half-done. Paid about $70 for this.

When I got it home, it worked fine, though the 2600k runs at 46C idle with the side ON the case, and 35C idle with the side OFF the case, making me wish I'd gotten something with better airflow instead of using my old one. Because of this, I really don't feel comfortable overclocking it.

Anyway, my performance in non-gaming applications is now so amazing that my CPU usage on Task Manager now says 0% most of the time.

But the extra performance on my 560 Ti is somewhat lackluster in games, only about 10% more than I was getting with my old CPU. It is stable now, however. But I can't help but want a little more after all I paid. To add insult to injury, I looked over some benchmarks and found that I could have avoided a lot of this if I had simply upgraded my PSU to something decent in the first place, and purchased a second 8800 GTS to run in SLI. I would have gotten better performance doing that, than replacing that 8800 GTS with a single 560 Ti.

So now, I'm thinking of purchasing a second 560Ti of the same model to run in SLI, and I'm once again wondering if my Antec Earthwatts EA-650 will be sufficient for this. After all, I picked out my current one planning to run a single 560Ti on a Q6600 system. I have no idea if it could handle two of them in SLI on a 2600k system.

Also, I have so many old components discarded that I have almost enough to make a whole other machine, all I need is a case and PSU. So I got an Antec Nine Hundred Two for really cheap because it was scuffed on the outside or something, to rebuild my old computer in (I feel like I can do that, because I don't really care as much if I screw it up, it's WAY less money at stake). And I can get that second 8800 GTS fairly cheap on eBay. So I'm thinking of swapping the Earthwatts unit over to the old computer I'm rebuilding, if it doesn't prove sufficient for running the two 560 Ti's in SLI.

So, what kind of power supply do I need in order to run SLI on each of these systems? I've never run SLI before, and I have no idea what to expect. Plus, my computer being unstable due to me overtaxing a PSU is still fresh in my mind, so I don't know what to trust.

First off, you wouldn't have gotten better performance with SLI 8800GTS. the single 560Ti is far more powerful.

Second, No, I wouldn't run that PSU with SLI 560Tis. It theoretically shoudl handle it, but I just would want abit of headroom.

So, put that Antec into the other computer and get it another 8800GTS for SLI so you have a second rig, and get a 750+ watt unit for your main rig. Corsair and Seasonic are on a roll right now with solid PSUs. Super Flower is also a solid brand right now.

First off, you wouldn't have gotten better performance with SLI 8800GTS. the single 560Ti is far more powerful.

Yeah, that was what what I thought originally. I guess I was on the right track after all, especially since my monitor desperately needed more VRAM.

Second, No, I wouldn't run that PSU with SLI 560Tis. It theoretically shoudl handle it, but I just would want abit of headroom.

I was thinking that myself. Especially after my previous experience with the 550W. Although on the other hand, that 550W was 3 years old and generic, so I wasn't sure.
So, put that Antec into the other computer and get it another 8800GTS for SLI so you have a second rig, and get a 750+ watt unit for your main rig. Corsair and Seasonic are on a roll right now with solid PSUs. Super Flower is also a solid brand right now.

I was actually considering Corsair and Seasonic. Here are the PSUs I was considering:

Seasonic M12II-750 BRONZE ATX 750 ~$130
Corsair HX Professional Series 750-Watt ~$140
SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ~ $160
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 ~$170

They were all right at 750W. Should I get one of those and call it a day, or get something with a higher wattage?

All of those are solid PSUs. It really depends on if you wanna spend abit more on efficency or not.

650 watts is enough for a 2600k overclocked and two 560ti at stock. Here's why:

2600k overclocked on air uses at most 150 watts.
Each 560ti will use around 160 watts overclocked on air.
The rest of your system is safely estimated by 50 watts.

That's a total of 600 watts for your system, overclocked. You have a safe headroom of about 50 watts, which is more than sufficient. The 12v load (CPU and GPUs) is about 470 watts, plus about 10-30 watts for peripherals, well below the 540 watt 12v rating of the EA-650.

Keeping everything at stock, the 2600k uses less than 90 watts, and the 560ti uses less than 160 watts each.

650 watts is enough for a 2600k overclocked and two 560ti at stock. Here's why:

2600k overclocked on air uses at most 150 watts.
Each 560ti will use around 160 watts overclocked on air.
The rest of your system is safely estimated by 50 watts.

That's a total of 600 watts for your system, overclocked. You have a safe headroom of about 50 watts, which is more than sufficient. The 12v load (CPU and GPUs) is about 470 watts, plus about 10-30 watts for peripherals, well below the 540 watt 12v rating of the EA-650.

Keeping everything at stock, the 2600k uses less than 90 watts, and the 560ti uses less than 160 watts each.

Well, I think it would probably be best if I just try out that 560Ti with my current power supply to see if it will work. If it does, I should be fine. If it doesn't, I assume the current protection will kick in and my computer will shut down like it did before, and I'll end up using it to rebuild my old computer. I'll just hold on to that Antec Nine Hundred Two I'm getting and see what I want to do with it. If it's a nice enough case, I may hold onto it until I'm ready to build my NEXT machine.

I did check out nVidia's certified power list, and while several 650W power supplies are rated okay, the EA-650 is NOT rated for 560Ti two way SLI. It's on the list (http://www./Active/en_US/en_US/pdf/PSU.pdf), but with no check in any of the boxes. Not sure why that is, it could just be they didn't test it.

Honestly, aside from the PSU, I'm worried about whether I will be able to cool two of those graphics cards even with the side off, but that's a question for another forum... I don't really know a good way to go into that issue without going off-topic, so I guess I consider my original question answered.

Your Antec will be able to run that setup, but you are leaving no headroom at all. You would be best served by getting an upgrade (I would recommend the X750 from your list). Remember that PSUs loose a lot of efficiency at near 100%, plus run hot and may be loud.

Remember that PSUs loose a lot of efficiency at near 100%, plus run hot and may be loud.

A reason why people recommend QUALITY units in the first place.

If you did proper research in the purchasing of your power supply, it will deliver it's rated power at its rated efficiency.

Well, I think it would probably be best if I just try out that 560Ti with my current power supply to see if it will work. If it does, I should be fine. If it doesn't, I assume the current protection will kick in and my computer will shut down like it did before, and I'll end up using it to rebuild my old computer. I'll just hold on to that Antec Nine Hundred Two I'm getting and see what I want to do with it. If it's a nice enough case, I may hold onto it until I'm ready to build my NEXT machine.

I did check out nVidia's certified power list, and while several 650W power supplies are rated okay, the EA-650 is NOT rated for 560Ti two way SLI. It's on the list (http://www./Active/en_US/en_US/pdf/PSU.pdf), but with no check in any of the boxes. Not sure why that is, it could just be they didn't test it.

Honestly, aside from the PSU, I'm worried about whether I will be able to cool two of those graphics cards even with the side off, but that's a question for another forum... I don't really know a good way to go into that issue without going off-topic, so I guess I consider my original question answered.

I think the only reason its not certified for it is because of the amount of PCI-E connectors. You need 4 6pin for SLI 560Tis. You only have 2.

Like I said, Theoretically within limits, but give yourself abit of over head and then have a good PUS in your second unit. Sounds like win win to me.

I calculated it out, and found that getting a second 560Ti would ultimately cost me about $450, if I factor in the cost of a new PSU and extra fans to cool the SLI configuration.

I just happened to be looking at graphics cards on NewEgg, looking for another 560Ti w/2GB ram (because the card I got originally wasn't in stock), and I saw a GTX 680 in stock for around $500. While it's usually a bad idea to adopt new tech so early on, AND I don't know if it would run as well as two 560Ti's in SLI, I think it will be close enough. I'm basically thinking of the card as a 580 that's more power-efficient, because I don't know a lot about it.

The reason I didn't go for a 580 in the first place was concern about heat and component life, really hot-running cards that suck a lot of power tend to die faster. On top of the fact that the CPU I had at the time probably couldn't have made use of such a card.

So, just as a quick question... how much more power does a 680 draw compared to a 560Ti? My power supply could handle one of those cards, right? I remember reading that it only uses 2 x 6-pin PCI-E power connectors, just like my current card. So I'm assuming it wouldn't draw a lot more power?

I'm probably just going to save the 560Ti for rebuilding my old unit after all.

Back