What Kind of Mobo Do I Want?

PsyCho_BoB

n00b
Gonna have an AMD 64 2800+ or 3000+, this is gonna be a gaming rig, and I don't plan on doing any overclocking. I heard the nForce3 chipset was good.

EDIT: The MSI is $120, the Epox is $99.

From what I've heard, the MSI K8N Neo Platinum 2 (or something like that) and the Epox EP-8KDA3J (or EP-8KDA3+ if you're on a budget) are the best for S754

The + is more expensive.... How much would I be losing if I got the Epox EP-8KDA3J instead of the MSI K8N Neo Platinum?

Hey, I'm in a similar boat deciding between those boards. The biggest thing i've been trying to figure out if i need the firewire that comes with msi board, and if epox has gotten the board to work with all 3 ram slots filled. i was reading the amd 754 mobo nforce 3 roundup, and i believe they mentioned that the epox board wouldn't work with all three slots filled. if any one knows about that, let me know.

PsyCho_BoB said:
The + is more expensive.... How much would I be losing if I got the Epox EP-8KDA3J instead of the MSI K8N Neo Platinum?

From the top of my head, I know it would be firewire ports. The epox does not have firewire on it.

PsyCho_BoB said:

I would strongly recomend you not be too frugal with the motherboard. You seem to be too determined to get a specific processor than a specific motherboard or brand of motherboard. YOu fail to realize just how much of a performance factor the motherboard dictates in your PC.

well the only difference between the + and J versions of the epox are the sata ports and an spdif output, so the performance isn't really an issue there, and most of the newer S754 boards have roughly similair performance (except a few turnips) so I guess features are pretty important

You seem to be too determined to get a specific processor than a specific motherboard or brand of motherboard. YOu fail to realize just how much of a performance factor the motherboard dictates in your PC.
No and no, I just want help deciding between these two great boards that I've heard and read a lot of good things about.

The Epox J does have SPDIF. The J looses Optical SPDIF. No big deal really. The onboard SATA does RAID also. Just doesn't support four drives.

MSI.
Epox has proven to be failure-prone when I've used them, and I won't be using them for anything critical. The only Epox board I've had that's worked right has been an MVP3-G2 socket 7 board. It worked right from the moment it was powered on. Unfortunately, the same couldn't be said for the 8K3A+ or the 8RDA.

The only thing the 3+ has that the J doesn't is the extra SATA controller and the bundle of round cables and audio front port whatever for it's on-board audio... Hardly worth the $50 if you don't need the RAID or extra SATA ports I gather... The Chaintech VNF3-250 would be even more up your alley if you want reliable (and OC'able) on a budget without extra features.

Back