what kind of mem does a P3 866 use?

yes, every P3 @ 866 (stock) supports 133mhz memory.

Lucky, i got shafted with a p3 800 at 100mhz LOL.

~Hope this helps

If you can find a motherboard with the i820 chipset, I believe, it will use RDRAM.:)

If you're running a Intel 440BX chipset motherboard, you can only use low density PC133. I was having an issue with this with my board since PC100 low density is SOOO expensive, but finally found 512mb of it in the FS forum for $40. :D

Originally posted by merlin704
If you can find a motherboard with the i820 chipset, I believe, it will use RDRAM.:)
That's correct, Intel introduced rd-ram with the socket P3s but it failed big time due to it being insanely costly at the time and the p3 not needing that of bw. Not to mention the problems with delivering rd-ram enough and some chipset issues.

Originally posted by merlin704

The i840 was another RDRAM board for slot 1...

luckily the 866EB is a socket 370 coppermine...

it looks like the 815 chipset is where it really shines, but just so you know it only supports 512MB max memory. should be enough for a p3 tho.

Originally posted by Egrimm
That's correct, Intel introduced rd-ram with the socket P3s but it failed big time due to it being insanely costly at the time and the p3 not needing that of bw. Not to mention the problems with delivering rd-ram enough and some chipset issues.

i believe the i820 chipset was for rdram, the issue was with the memory hub not liking sdram
i had a vc820 mb/2x128mb pc800 rdram/p3 833, it was the bomb back in the day ;)

Originally posted by p0b0y
i believe the i820 chipset was for rdram, the issue was with the memory hub not liking sdram
i had a vc820 mb/2x128mb pc800 rdram/p3 833, it was the bomb back in the day ;)

To bad they never fixed that. The i820 chipset would have had a longer life span.:(

Originally posted by jeef
luckily the 866EB is a socket 370 coppermine...

it looks like the 815 chipset is where it really shines, but just so you know it only supports 512MB max memory. should be enough for a p3 tho.

Via had a decent 694 chipset that supported up to 1 GB of (PC133) memory, as I recall. The 694T variant would work on Tualatins.

As you may have guessed by all these posts, it's really your chipset that determines what memory type and how much can used, not your CPU type. (Since there are multiple chipsets that can support a given CPU.)

Hopefully, you're using an 815 chipset with that Coppermine. I've had great fun with the 815ep-B0 based chipset and a PIII-S (1266 MHz, 512 KB L2). With a little PC150, it's held its own pretty well. ;) -- Paul

... There is a Via PC2100 DDR chipset out there for Socket 370. The name of it escapes me right now, but it is out there.

I believe it was the VIA Apollo Pro266 chipset. ALi also had a chipset or two. Benchmarks where mixed (see here in particular), as the PIII architecture really couldn't take advantage of the bandwidth. In this article, the DDR chipset beats rambus (on 820), which isn't surprising, and PC133, but in my opinion, those results are artificial, since they tested PC133 on the Pro133 chipset, rather than on the 815 chipset. -- Paul

Bingo, Macklin! that was the name of it.

I personally wouldn't trade my Apollo Pro 133 @ 150mhz for it, either. If I have to invest in DDR, I'm investing in an AXP and a SocketA... And RDRAM was always a joke, anyways.

Good luck on finding DECENT SDRAM for that P3, btw, there isn't a lot of it out there these days - mostly el-cheapo CAS3 garbage. And as far as finding low-density PC133.... forget that, too. The P3 was and still is one of the most expensive system setups ever - Look at the going rate of Tualatin P3s, still.

Originally posted by TheAcorn
Bingo, Macklin! that was the name of it.

I personally wouldn't trade my Apollo Pro 133 @ 150mhz for it, either. If I have to invest in DDR, I'm investing in an AXP and a SocketA... And RDRAM was always a joke, anyways.

Thanks. ;) Yeah, I had considered such an upgrade for a while, but after reading the reviews, I decided it wasn't worth the money. Better off just finding some PC150 memory ... ;)

I guess it's time to write a sig: Here's what I have going right now:

Shuttle AE25 (based on i815ep-BO chipset)
PIII-S 1266 @ 1425
2 x 256 MB Kingmax PC150

Good luck on finding DECENT SDRAM for that P3, btw, there isn't a lot of it out there these days - mostly el-cheapo CAS3 garbage. And as far as finding low-density PC133.... forget that, too. The P3 was and still is one of the most expensive system setups ever - Look at the going rate of Tualatin P3s, still.

Yeah, the Tualatin is still expensive, but it is a good technology. It too Northwood for the P4 to out-compete the PIII Tualatin chips. They're also beautiful in that they run super-cool. The chip I'm using is cooled by a Thermalright SK7 and a Panaflo HI at 7V. :) And for the low heat output and power consumption, it gives pretty decent performance. On a good gentoo installation with the free Intel C++ compiler, some of my research code really flies! :)

The extra 256 KB of L2 also helps. According to my testing, that increase yielded about a 4-6% performance boost. Still, I agree that for much more of a performance boost, it's much more economical to upgrade to a newer platform. (I'm currently selling off equipment so I can upgrade to a P4 2.8C system.)

Well, I'd better run for the moment. Later! :) -- Paul

Back