What kind of computer did you have when you were a lil'kid?

The printer I had wit my 33Mhz comp was a Daisy Wheel Dot Matrix.

Blazing 2 pages an hour :p

I remember... IN the early days of gamefaqs, someone came up with a really long strategy guide for one of the games.. Forget which game.

I printed it with that dot matrix printer...Holy shit!

I started it in the afternoon, and was still running well into the night after I went to bed. Some..500 pages or so :D

I had a 486DX. It had 16mb of ram which was quite a bit at the time. No idea what the HDD space was. Probably upwards of 600mb.

It played Doom2 and that's what I needed it to do haha. It played Quake 1 nicely, especially after I put a monster 3D card in it :cool:

ps255.jpg

(This isn't mine, just a pic of one that I found on google. But mine looked identical)

IBM 386 SX/2

16mhz
8mb ram
60mb hdd, doublespaced to 120mb

Dos 6.22 + Windows 3.11

I had a Commodore 64, the 1541 disk drive, some crappy greem monitor (later hooked it up to a color tv), AND I ran a BBS. For those of you who don't know what a BBS is, it was a way to connect to one computer over a modem (1200 baud). Before the internet. Would take an entire day to download a game, which usually sucked anyway.

LOAD "$",8,1 LOL

My first pc was a compaq presario. It had a 500mhz cpu with 64mb of pc100 sdram. The harddrive was a 10gig 5200rpm seagate. It worked great! :p

acascianelli said:
(This isn't mine, just a pic of one that I found on google. But mine looked identical)

IBM 386 SX/2

16mhz
8mb ram
60mb hdd, doublespaced to 120mb

Dos 6.22 + Windows 3.11

That brings back memories. I learned how to program using those same computers. Dog slow for compiling though (but probably because my P1 133 compiled programs a lot faster).

The first comutron we ever had was a 286 dont remember who made it, i was like 5 or something.

then we got a TDK 486 computer (yes with the oh so nice turbo button) 4 megs of ram, 80 meg HD, later i added a 20x cd-rom, and after that a 28.8 kbps modem. never did get around to getting a sound card put in that thing. wow, lots of good memories on that computer.

the first one i ever built for myself was a pentium 120Mhz. had a 1.5 gid HD, 32 megs of ram, on board 2 meg video. on board sound. Lots of good memories of playing Total Annihilation on that comp, and lots of SNES roms.

then i built my 450 k6-2 system. 64 megs of ram, 4 gig hd, sound, modem, some whacko 8 meg trident 3d accelerator, i even had a 4x cd burner in that thing. man this computer i literally scrounged together from garbage cans. built this sucker in 2000 so it was waaaay behind the times, but still waaaay better than my pentium system.

Then in 2002 i bought my first modern laptop 900 Mhz athlon. thena couple of years later i bought a cheap compaq desktop and changed out most of its parts. then i got a compaq Armada m700 laptop <-----loved that thing. and now i have the system in my sig.

thats not even all of the computers that i have, those were just the ones that i used primarily for more than 6 months.

all told i had 6 desktops, and 4 laptops. You know what though, my best memories are gaming on the pentium desktop and the k6-2. doing shit i wasent supposed to be doing on the internet, with a blanket covering me and my computer in a tent so that my mom wouldnt see the glow from my monitor when she walked the dog late at night. one time i even left the computer int he room, and was huddled in my closet with my monitor, mouse and keyboard playing starcraft at 2 am. oh my god the memories.

first commodore 128, then amiga 500, then amiga 1200 :D best funnest machines evar!!!

Ah, the good ole days. :cool:
Learned to program in Basic on Trs-80's at school,
One buddy got: TI 99/4A,
another: Trs-80 Color Computer

I got: Timex Sinclair 1000 (My parents obviously hated me)
with black & white display, 16k add-on expansion, casette tape storage and dreadful programming on that keyboard.

Luckily me and my bro saved up and later got a Commodore 64, 1702 monitor and 1541 drive.

Ah, the good old days of typing in programs from Compute! magazine :)
(And later... spending entire days copying disks <cough>)

When I was a lil kid, computers didn't exist yet. We played with trucks out in the dirt.

My favorite toys were Weeble Wobbles.

SarverSystems said:
When I was a lil kid, computers didn't exist yet. We played with trucks out in the dirt.

My favorite toys were Weeble Wobbles.

What about Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs?

so its not my computer, but my dad's first computer was the first ever apple laptop, which didnt have a hard drive - it used a floppy instead lol. thought that was hilarious.

cant remember all the specs but it was either a 286 or 8086. was a 17mhz at the fastest (i think that was with the turbo button in). ran dos 4 or something, wasnt even able to run windows or win 3.1. booted up to a menu, where you picked which program you wanted to run by pressing the correct key. it had a dot matrix printer and a monochrome (black and copper) monitor. it had a game called beast, where you were a blinking block and had to push around solid blocks to squash the "B" s.

486sx33. 4 megs of ram, 20 meg HD I believe. No clue what kinda video card was in it, I know it had a 2400 baud modem. Came with DOS 5.0 I think. Had a top of the line 1x CD rom drive. About a year or so went by and my pops lost interest in it so I........opened it up....

USMC2Hard4U said:
Well I was like 11 or 12 when we got our first brand new Packard Bell with the all new Intel pentium 75Mhz CPU. 16MB SIMM Ram, 1GB Hard Drive, Windows 95 Just came out like a month prior. 14.4 Modem and AOL 2.0

It probably was the best thing ever for a while. :)

same here.

Wow, some of you actually had nice computers when you were "little"

My computer...I cant even remember it, but I can describe it.

It looked very much like acascianelli's. It worked laying down in that manner and only had the really old Floopy Drive. Forgot the size dimension...5"? The ones that were really flexiable. It had that drive, the Graphics card was about as long as a latop (if you put the screen totally horizontal). Thing was the shiznet. I used to put it on when I woke up, eat food, get a shower, and come back in time for it to finish booting to play the original Donkey Kong (when there was a princess and you went up ladders) and a crude version of Mario.

i got l337 ibm machine. I was like 14 yrs old that time.

Spec:
AMD K6 K2 w/3d now! 400 mhz (lol?)
Kingston 64 Mb PC100 SDRAM
Seagate 8 Gb HD
Sis S3 savage Integrated Video card (Was good on HL1 1.0)
U.S Robotic 56 K V.90 (of course)
IBM 140 watt psu (hah)
Generic CD-Rom

O well i don't kno wat else.

My parents couldn't have been the only ones suckered into buying a Timex Sinclair were they? We also owned a C64 at the time with the tape player drive and the huge cartridges that plugged into the back.

Commodore 64 and vic 120. Had the floppy, printer, cassette drive, and a 14inch color monitor.. The fast load cartridge was the greatest, if it worked with the program you were running.. I remember getting a magazine and manualy, typing in a game.. Save it to floppy.. Early version of the demo I guess..

:) There were no personel computers when I was a kid either. Nor any pocket electronic calculators even! :eek: And the early desktop calculators cost over $1,000. Not even 8-track tape had been invented yet.

Here's the only computer I remember hearing about, and possibly still in use when I was a kid:

300px-Colossus.jpg

A Colossus Mark II computer at Bletchley Park during WWII. The slanted control panel on the left was used to set the pin patterns on the Lorenz; the paper tape transport is on the right.

Apple IIgs here. Hand signed by Steve Jobs, my mother won it in a school system raffle.

SarverSystems said:
Worth as much now as it was then?
I dunno. Sold it a few years later for $500 to fund a 486 DX2 66mhz build :p

Its probably worth close to nothing now....

My friend has some ancient computer that has a 2mb hd. He tells me these stories but one day i will have to see it for my self, and take pictures :D

I had a Commodore VIC-20, which was replaced not too long after with a Commodore 64. It had a 1 MHz processor, 64 kilobytes of RAM, and dual 5.25" floppies, and of course there was no hard drive because that was a option only for millionaires or business'.

IBM PCjr.

The standard one came with 64KB of RAM but this one had been expanded to a whopping 128KB. Since there was no hard drive you had to put in the 5 1/4" floppy with IBM-DOS on it and start the machine. Then I could put in the floppy with my first computer game on it, GATO.

The machine is laughable now but it's what I used to learn about computers.

I had an old Tandy 1000 286 computer, it had a 1.44mb floppy drive with a 500mb hd. We bought it in 1989, it outlasted the Gateway G6 266mhz pc I owned in 1998.

It went to a slow retirement about two years ago when I gave it to Goodwill.

Scroatdog said:
I had a Commodore 64, the 1541 disk drive, some crappy greem monitor (later hooked it up to a color tv), AND I ran a BBS. For those of you who don't know what a BBS is, it was a way to connect to one computer over a modem (1200 baud). Before the internet. Would take an entire day to download a game, which usually sucked anyway.

LOAD "$",8,1 LOL

Now that brings back memories! load"$",8,1

I used to make my own games in basic on my c-64. I'd like to find another one day to play with.

TI 99-4a. Also had the cassette-tape player to save programs. Anyone remember "Hunt the Wumpus"?

Astronutty said:
Now that brings back memories! load"$",8,1

I used to make my own games in basic on my c-64. I'd like to find another one day to play with.

Knock yourself out dude!!!!

C64 on Ebay $24.99 (20 minutes left in auction)

Note, this is **NOT** my Ebay auction. Just some random one.

I've been tempted at times to actually get one and mess around with it too. I can still remember loading a game on the floppy, getting something to eat, coming back and flipping the disk over so it can load, go get something to drink, then come back and it's done.

My FAVORITE game on the C64 was Project Stealth Fighter. I think Broderbund made it, but can't remember. I spend hundreds of hours playing it. (and hundreds of hours waiting for it to load :p :p )

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
When I was 6 or 7 I had an Apple //c and a bunch of 5.5" floppies with dozens of games, with a dot-matrix printer. You had to run paper through the printer multiple times to print a single document with graphics because the software was too primitive.

A few months later I got a used IBM desktop that ran DOS and Windows 3.1 pretty well. Played Commander Keen and a few other games.

I'm going to hope that the computer industry won't make 64GB memory mandatory in the next decade, because we've reached the limits of word processing and internet browsing already. I think that people will have computers with wildly different specifications soon, and everyone will be happy.

Well, for my own, I got a 286 (640k), then a 386(4MB), then a 486 laptop(16MB), then a Pentium 2 266 laptop(96MB), then a Pentium 1 266 laptop(160MB), and then this rig :p

XSNiper said:
Well? I had an old gateway 733MHz hand-me down. But i'm only 16 so..lol

I am 16, started our family with a 550mhz p3 gateway. It had a flat panel 5 years ago, yeah it was uber expensive but all my friends loathed for it.

My first computer was a laptop that I don't even know who made it. I think it was Compaq or Toshiba. Anyway, it had like a 200MHz Pentium (or Celeron?), something like 16 or 32MB of RAM, and a 256-color display. Oh, and a 2GB hard drive. I can't remember the details exactly.

Next computer was a 333MHz P2, 128MB, and a GeForce 2 Pro. Following that was a 1.0GHz P3 with 256MB and a GeForce 3 ti500. After that was my current rig, a 2.6GHz P4 with 768MB and a Radeon 9600XT. I'm still debating on my next upgrade...

Back