What kind of Athlon 64 rig can I get for ~$1800US?

exabyte

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to build a new A64 Socket 939 rig soon...What kind of parts can I get for around that price? I have a budget of around $1800 US. I already have a good keyboard, mouse, printer and speakers and DSL modem. I will be mostly using for it gaming and internet and multimedia. I really don't care for SLI, RAID, or dual core too much. I would rather an Nvidia based video card. And lastly is 2GB of ram worth it yet or should i just get 2 512MB sticks? I have an HP Athlon 64 socket 754 cpu, 1GB PC3200 RAM, 160GB SATA Seagate hard drive, Samsung 16x DVD-ROM, 16x Liteon DVD burner i added, SB Audigy 2ZS, and a Chaintech Geforce FX 5700 Ultra.

www.newegg.com

I think they have some of what you're looking for there ;)

If you don't care about dual core or sli, just stick with your s754 system, and upgrade your video card. For $400 you can get a top of the line AGP video card, and your system will compete with some of the best s939 systems.

thats a pretty massive budget.... if your gona be spending alot, may as well wait for the 7800 gtx and buy that. proly have enough to throw in a expensive psu and case too.

well i see you have an hp so there's not much customability you can do right now. what exact processor do you have? because you might as well use that, get a better mobo like a lanparty, a better vid card, better ram (depending on what kind you already have), and transfer everything into a better case with a better psu. it'll be a whole lot better than what you currently have and save you all the money from getting a new rig. plus since you don't care too much about sli, you'll have a more than sufficient rig.

I have a 3700+ S754 in my HP. The reason why i'm building a new is that i'm going to use the HP to upgrade an old Dell Dimesion 8100 Pentium4 1.7 GHz system. My rest of my family uses that one alot and doesn't play many games decently anymore. I'm looking for something to build that play the latest games at high quality or better and at 1280x1024 and higher. I can spend between 1200-1800.

get your self a decent one
then plop down 900 on a Dell 2405FPW

x_dreamer said:
thats a pretty massive budget.... if your gona be spending alot, may as well wait for the 7800 gtx and buy that. proly have enough to throw in a expensive psu and case too.
wow. Massive budget huh. Sigh.

I am having a hard time fitting in all my parts on my 6000 USD Budget. Sigh.

I was thinking same thing, my budget is $2500ish.. and I've had to make tons of downgrades to fit that

USMC2Hard4U said:
I am having a hard time fitting in all my parts on my 6000 USD Budget. Sigh.
i had to deal with ~$500 blocks of hardware :p

and, as a question.. if you have a 3700+, why not just get a new motherboard and video card. that 3700+ should hit 2.6-2.8ghz without too much of a problem ;)

Back