What kills pixels?

dankirk

n00b
I have a Dell 2005fpw. When I got it one month ago, it had no dead pixels and acceptable, minimal backlight leakage. It just developed two dead pixels (stuck on red on a black screen) The dead pixels are far apart, and very small so they are barely noticeable, and then only when it is a dark screen. I still like the monitor, but I wonder what makes the pixels go bad? Is there a good possibility that more will die out? Can I do anything different to prevent this?

Thanks, Dan

There are many reasons why (sub)pixels die, but suffice it to say that it's usually due to flaws in the product. Not all of those flaws immediately lead to dead pixels (which you'll see the first time you power on the display), but will worsen over time, causing more dead pixels.

Unfortunately, LCD displays are quite dificult to produce (perfectly), which is one of the reasons they've trouble scaling up to larger sizes, and also why few manufacturers have a 'zero dead pixel'-policy.

Basically the only thing you can do to prevent dead pixels is to use it within operating limits (temperature, humidity, etc.), and make sure you don't apply (excessive) force to the display. Bad power (voltage surges, brown-outs) will also severely shorten the life of an LCD's components, so connecting it to an UPS isn't a bad idea.

lol...

anyways, real answer is: no one knows...

one could only assume that keeping under proper condition will do the trick in preserving its life.

i just think it's dumb luck...

my old lcd had zero dead pixel first week. then developed 3 within a fewdays...nothing changed, it was just sitting there as usual, under normal usage. i think these pixels were just meant to die. if manufactuers can't avoid it, i dont think people will be able to spot the problem and cause of pixel death.

I just ordered my first LCD tonight (BENQ FP937).
Hopefully it doesn't have any dead pixels, but if there's one or two i'll survive. I can understand how they're only noticeable on a plain color screen but for web surfing they might get annoying. Gaming would be fine with them as the screen is almost always colorful.

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to things like that. So, I am still afraid to buy one because one dead pixel will ruin it for me. I might be waiting a while :)

They're annoying, but not the end of the world. As long as you've only got 1 or 2, you likely won't care much. For gaming, you won't even notice at all...but like Mojo mentioned, when you're surfing or just doing everyday computing it gets old seeing that black dot staring at you :)

Back